"That homebrew taste"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone actually worked out what causes THT?
Since returning to brewing, using bottled water and all-grain, I've not had it until tonight.

I've been doing this Duvel for what seems like weeks - we're in week 6. It's been lagering for a couple of weeks and I thought I'd taste it tonight before bottling. It's quite beery, which is fine, but it's got that aftertaste.

I've bottled it and will bottle condition it for 3 weeks, but I think this is going to be a fail.

Week #6? Likely oxidation. It happens to me and I've grown tired of it and begun doing something about it. Like me, you might want to look into limiting oxygen ingress. Besides fermenting only in glass, I've started to add tiny amounts of Campden (bisulphite) for any racking, or if leaving for more than a couple weeks before packaging. I believe keeping oxygen out as much as reasonably achievable and scavenging oxygen when appropriate is giving me better beer. The one and ONLY exception to this is AT yeast pitch, oxygenate the heck out of it right then, but nowhere else, either on hot side or after fermentation has begun.

Sounds like it could be underpitched or with a adjunct heavy beer, lacking in nutrient. Slow fermentation, causing acetaldehyde and or fusels.

Absolutely temperature controlled. All done in a fermentation fridge.

But as above, does sound like oxidisation. Because I couldn't ferment under pressure, I've a feeling I did get oxygen in.

Thanks all!
I don't agree with that, give the beer a chance. 3 weeks in the bottle is not enough either. Judge the beer in 3 months time

I don't agree with that, give the beer a chance. 3 weeks in the bottle is not enough either. Judge the beer in 3 months time
Oh absolutely - a mate of mine said "There's no such thing as bad beer - if you leave it long enough, it'll taste great"

I did a NEIPA that came out horribly a few months back - way too bitter. His thoughts are that if I leave it long enough, it'll mellow.

Oh absolutely - a mate of mine said "There's no such thing as bad beer - if you leave it long enough, it'll taste great"

I did a NEIPA that came out horribly a few months back - way too bitter. His thoughts are that if I leave it long enough, it'll mellow.
I have made my fair share of bad Beers. Tasting a beer that's not had a chance to mature or carbonate is difficult to judge. Give it a chance

Oxidation is definitely enemy #1 but for me also the homebrew twang was from a combination of fermentation temperature and control and water chemistry and mash ph. As soon as I started paying attention to those things then the beer was a lot better and stopped tasting like homebrew. Not sure which of those things has the greatest impact as I started to manage them at the same time.

Sounds like it could be underpitched or with a adjunct heavy beer, lacking in nutrient. Slow fermentation, causing acetaldehyde and or fusels.

I am with you. There are more possibilities than just oxidisation.

And we do have enough information about ingredients and practices to determine. Could be over use of campden tablets (sodium type)

Just had a look through it. I've not done any of those.

Used bottled water. I used chemsan to clean. The only sugar I used was candy rocks (as in most Belgian beers) other than malt etc.
Most of the things they suggest in that thread are about extract brewing and cheap kits with sugar - obviously this was a tried-and-tested all-grain method
https://www.greatfermentations.com/belgian-golden-strong-recipe/

Oh well, I'll put it down to a bad brew. It's now been bottled 3 weeks and tastes awful. I'll try again in a month or two.

Has anyone actually worked out what causes THT?
Since returning to brewing, using bottled water and all-grain, I've not had it until tonight.

I've been doing this Duvel for what seems like weeks - we're in week 6. It's been lagering for a couple of weeks and I thought I'd taste it tonight before bottling. It's quite beery, which is fine, but it's got that aftertaste.

I've bottled it and will bottle condition it for 3 weeks, but I think this is going to be a fail.
Stu, you note it’s been lagering for two weeks at week six, was the beer fermenting for 4 weeks? If so, you’re at the limit before yeast autolysis becomes a possibility. If you re-used old yeast you’re probably beyond the limit.

Stu, you note it’s been lagering for two weeks at week six, was the beer fermenting for 4 weeks? If so, you’re at the limit before yeast autolysis becomes a possibility. If you re-used old yeast you’re probably beyond the limit.
Cheers. I can't remember the timings now. I followed the instructions.

3 weeks ferment, 3 weeks lagering. I'm now another 3 weeks in and it's frankly awful. It's not that dark, so I don't think it's oxidised. I do think it might have an infection. It's just not a great beer at all.

Absolutely. I entered a British barleywine into a compitition and got so-so scores: "Too hoppy for style ". A year later it got the highest score I've ever received and second in best of show.

Back