Temperature control for beer kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the inkbird to control temperature with the probe on the outside of the fermenter and the rapt pill (not the controller) to monitor temperature and gravity.
I ferment inside a converted freezer.
The only reason I asked was that if you used the Rapt controller with the Rapt pill you wouldn’t need to use the probe and the pill would monitor the temperature.
I currently use either a Rapt controller or an inkbird with the probe inside the thermowell. The temperature is confirmed by my ispindel and it is usually within a couple of tenths of a degree.
I’ve tried both ways and personally Iget better control this way.
I suppose it depends on each individual set up so if it ain’t broke don’t fix it I suppose. 👍🏼

Do you folks with Inkbirds probe the air temperature or the beer temperature? I imagine in a small sealed chamber like a fridge the air will change temperature quite a lot faster than the beer (due to thermal mass as mentioned above). So with the probe in the air I expect the Inkbird will be switching on and off much more often than if it is in contact with the beer and possibly the beer temperature lags behind air temperature by an hour or more.

I have a ~20cm thermowell in the lid of one of my fermenters. It's okay for a cheapo thermometer I've got, but it's not a big enough bore for the Inkbird probe. Currently I don't have a fridge (as it rarely gets over 20C where I ferment and we're going into winter anyway), so taking air temperature is pretty useless - was planning to get another larger thermowell and use that, then add a cheap fridge to the setup at some stage.
As others have said, I tape the Inkbird probe to the side of the fermenter, covered with a patch of bubble wrap.

Back