Clever priming sugar required

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was planning to do "something" at day 6 (normal bottling day)

Today is day 4 it is dropped (well a late drop)
Keg weighed 4kg. Filled to 20kg so about 16 litres.

Sg 10. Bugger that homemade verdant is quick.

Primed with 160g after some horrific fag packet maths.
Spunsy @ 30psi.

Table found, Tin hat fitted.

Do like this dropping idea.

Will bottle the remains later....

For the record mashbah has a phobia of all things faffy or unnecessary or expensive. Starsan scores a hattrick 🤣🤣🤣

I was tempted to offer a compromise but I don't think it would work for Mashbag.
To get to what he is aiming for. I would fill a clean keg and fill with a Starsan solution.
1st problem, I think Mashbag has a starsan phobia.
Then once I've had vigorous fermentation for a good 12 hours I would connect the fermenter gas out to the gas post on the keg and a blow off tube to the kegs liquid post to purge the keg fermentation gas.
2nd problem, Mashbag ferments in his brewing system.
Then once purged I would transfer the 17lt fermenting wort into the keg and the remainder into a demijohn.
Mashbag said he wanted to spund at 30psi. So attach a spunding valve and set to 30 PSI and let it go. No need to add priming sugar.
Once the fermentation has reached 30 PSI excess gas will be expelled.
This will result in ale carbonated to approximately 2.7 volume CO2 at a fermentation temperature of 20°C with the head space that he was aiming for.
It may also require a shortened or floating dip tube.

Thanks. You know me well 😁
There is some good take ways there. Thanks.

The die is cast...

I think the best way to deal with this potential problem is to give the keg a good shaking after it's filled, wait a bit and then purge. the shake will release some of the absorbed CO2 into the headspace and when that settles, the purge should remove any air. After that the yeast will get to work on the priming sugar and you're good to go.
Shake co2 out or o2 in. My jury is having an extended fag break on that one. 👍

Well it always results in lots of extra pressure in the keg when I've done it. From nothing coming out of the PRV to lift off. Jury pinned to the ceiling.

At this stage I wouldn't be shaking.
You haven't fermented under pressure so there won't be an excessive amount of gas dissolved.
I would bite the bullet and purge the head space with CO2 from your cylinder, it won't take much and you don't want to risk oxidizing at this stage.

At this stage I wouldn't be shaking.
You haven't fermented under pressure so there won't be an excessive amount of gas dissolved.
I would bite the bullet and purge the head space with CO2 from your cylinder, it won't take much and you don't want to risk oxidizing at this stage.
My experience is from normal fermenting (non-pressurised) is there's always a release of gas after shaking. This would be before bottling and after adding finings. Shake to disperse same, release pressure and start bottling.

Starsan isn't expensive, it works out around £3.30 a year for me, and I'm wasteful. You can make 150L of reusable sanitiser from a £15 bottle.
Yeah, I keep double-checking the directions to make sure I'd read them right. 10ml in 5l of water seems nuts, but it works.

Back