Tell us about your regular/house brews

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 3 base recipes for bitter I use, one light TTL inspired one, one copper with a dash of amber malt and a deeper hued kinda amber one, shifting around hops a bit between brews.
Then I have probably settled on a late victorian-era inspired house porter recipe, and the same for bottled stout. My ordinary(single) stout and imperial stout are the same recipe but kicked up from 1.075 to 1.100 as a nod to the part-gyling of old.
Working on a brown ale recipe to become a template for house brown after I failed on making an Irish red-ish ale that was not a very good red but a decent brown...

Cracking thread Rory.

Was also surprised to see cascade pale your first up. Me too. A simple smash.

Also a couple of bitters, and somthing that started as "old speckled hen" but has wondered off a bit. Probably more "other side of the road" by now.

I'm still trying to perfect my recipes, the ones I posted are still being tweaked. The US wheat one is more of a base to add things like orange & coriander, edelflower or frozen raspberries.

Sometimes I just leave it plain. Probably more of a wit with us-05 or kölsch yeast than a us wheat really. I don't add a lot of hops and tend to use noble hops for the job.

I brew many beers and several of them are brewed fairly regularly. There are just a few though that have become stock beers because I like them the most: Best Bitter, Czech Lager, Porter, Stout, Imperial Stout.

I may also now have a Pale Ale (Pirate Pale) to join this select band and possibly a German Lager that family and friends raved over - I’ve brewed another batch to check the last batch wasn’t just a fluke! 😂

Irish Red and Dry Stout have been on regular rotation over the past 6 months and that will likely continue when I get my mixed gas setup sorted.

I rarely used to brew the same recipe, but have been refining these and think I'm nearly there.

I do a Pale/IPA with just a basic malt bill and Summit which I whirlpool as it is a high AA hop. I also do a Tribute style ale with Styrian always nice easy drinker, even then they are nevre the exact same just variants of

The regulars here are based on the hops I grow in the garden, as I always have loads of them: Styrian Goldings, Cascade and Challenger. Styrian and Cascade Pale Ales are made every few brews, in fact Styrians go in most things as I can never use the quantity my bine produces every year.

The regulars here are based on the hops I grow in the garden, as I always have loads of them: Styrian Goldings, Cascade and Challenger. Styrian and Cascade Pale Ales are made every few brews, in fact Styrians go in most things as I can never use the quantity my bine produces every year.
Growing your own hops is so cool! Are there other growers in your area you can organise a hop exchange with?

I quite fancy a go at the Vacant Gesture and I'd like to get a bit closer than the recipe kindly posted above. Harrison's calls for Planet extra pale, which I haven't got, but I do aim to track some down. But in the meantime is M.O extra pale a closer match at around 3 ebc or is it Golden Promise at 5 ebc. I think Planet is around 4 ebc.
Has anyone here used Planet?

My most frequent brew is an ordinary bitter loosely based on Otter Ale/Old Hooky. Recipe is still in flux but is currently

3kg Pale
250g Crystal 240
250g Munich

30g Challenger FWH
30g Fuggles 10 min
30g Fuggles 0 min

CML Midland

Next time round I'm adding a touch of melanoidin (2%) & more Fuggles

My original basic recipe for session house beer 4%
Maris otter 85%
Crystal 7.5%
Torrified wheat 7.5%
Hops as required
Ale yeast
Malts can be substituted for required colour and taste, easy basic recipe for experimenting with hop's

Ive been doing a regular 5ltr AG of stout

Maris otter 72.2%
Flaked barley 13.8%
Roast barley 8.9%
Choc malt 2.5%
Crystal malt 2.5%

60min mash 30min boil 10-20g fuggle or challenger so far

Last brew changed the RB choc n crystal

RB 6%
Choc 4%
Crystal 4%

My regular brews are :-

-bitter based on Harvey's West Sussex best
-bohemian pilsner
-cascadian dark ale
-pale ale

I have a rye pale ale and a golden ale that I need to tweak the recipes on before they become regular house beers

I tend to brew some historical beers but also Bitter love the stuff far far better than commercial stuff over the last 20 years I’ve done variations of British hops combinations experimented with different yeasts my favourite is a cascade challenger brew

4kg Maris Otter or Golden Promise
350g Light Crystal or Medium if I want a darker ale 150g of Chocolate Malt
The yeast I use the Most is Nottingham

Back