TC seems to have fermented in just over a week

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crofty83

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi folks. I started a TC a week ago Thursday kit gone. It was bubbling away quite ferociously but I've checked it again today and all the froth has settled and there is Jo activity in the air-lock.

I was expecting it to take (from what I have read on here) about 2 - 3 weeks to ferment. What's happend?

Anthony

look at the neck of the DJ/bottle often you can see small bubbles rising which means that the fermentation is not over, but there isn't enough CO2 being produced to offest the water in the airlock.

Other than that, did you take a SG when you started? Three readings the same generally indicate fermentation has finished.

My WOW only ever takes around 5 days to ferment out. The 2-3 weeks comments is in relation to allowing the yeast to do its clearing up. The actual activity and sugar-alcohol will be over in a week, or even less, it's best to leave the wine for another week or so to allow the yeast to clear up behind it, and allow some solids to fall :)

Cheers for the replies folks. I did think. 2 - 3 week fermentation period was a bit long. Shall I leave it where it has been fermenting for the next two weeks (it's about 20 degrees) or move it somewhere cooler?

crofty83 said:
Cheers for the replies folks. I did think. 2 - 3 week fermentation period was a bit long. Shall I leave it where it has been fermenting for the next two weeks (it's about 20 degrees) or move it somewhere cooler?

I would leave it where it is for a week then perhaps rack it into a secondary and move that somewhere cooler to allow clearing. If you are adding finings do so in the secondary :)

My TCs take anything from 7 to 21 days depending on the exact recipe and the fermenting conditions.
I judge "finished" by whether it's cleared.
If it's cleared, bottle it (or rack it to put away for bulk aging)

Thanks for the replies folks. I shall leave it be for two more weeks and see how it goes :-)

In same vein, mine too seems to have 'done' in a week - I used fresh (well, bottled 'natural') orange and apple juice - will the above apply to mine too?

Thanks

Old Fat Biker Bloke said:
In same vein, mine too seems to have 'done' in a week - I used fresh (well, bottled 'natural') orange and apple juice - will the above apply to mine too?

Thanks

I would say so yes. I did notice though after it was pointed out that there are little air bubbles where the water line meets the glass at the top so probably still has some small activity going on.

I was just confused as everywhere I read say 2-3 weeks (and I presumed that meant to ferment).

Latest posts

Back