Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrewWoo said:
Used 3L AJ 1L RGJ, 1K of sugar in about 500ml of water. All the usual's, (2 teabag brew, pectolase, yeast nutrient, yeast and glycerin)
Rather belated reply here, but I think the problem you've been having is simply using too much sugar. I calculate the above to come out at about 20% ABV which the yeast is unlikely to achieve, for that amount of ingredients I would have added another 1.5L of water to get the concentration down to something viable. Simiilarly the previous one you posted about would have been 17% ABV if it had finished.

For (say) a 13% ABV wine you want about 1kg total sugars including the juices (assuming a 4.5L dj, or 1100g with a 5L one). I would be wary about aiming for anything more than 14% ABV unless you're confident about the yeast's abilities.

Wasabi said:
BrewWoo said:
Used 3L AJ 1L RGJ, 1K of sugar in about 500ml of water. All the usual's, (2 teabag brew, pectolase, yeast nutrient, yeast and glycerin)
Rather belated reply here, but I think the problem you've been having is simply using too much sugar. I calculate the above to come out at about 20% ABV which the yeast is unlikely to achieve, for that amount of ingredients I would have added another 1.5L of water to get the concentration down to something viable. Simiilarly the previous one you posted about would have been 17% ABV if it had finished.

For (say) a 13% ABV wine you want about 1kg total sugars including the juices (assuming a 4.5L dj, or 1100g with a 5L one). I would be wary about aiming for anything more than 14% ABV unless you're confident about the yeast's abilities.

All part of the learning curve I suppose! The ones I've done thus far using all juice and no water have turned out rather strong, but incredibly sweet (negatively so) and have either been binned or given away to people who think Frosty Jacks tastes nice..

Since then been using a single carton of either RGJ or WGJ with AJ topping the rest up with water and using between 800g and 1kg of sugar.

Currently waiting on a purple grape juice and RGJ to finish fermenting, it's been going steady for nearly two weeks and isn't showing any signs of slowing down.

I've got my first WOW on the go in a PET 5L container, original wow recipe and goodness what an active fermentation after only a day!

I find anything citrusy goes a bit mental, orange, grapefruit, pineapple etc need to leave plenty of room, just had an apple and pineapple one filled week below shoulder of DJ push through airlock several times whereas a grape and apple combo just ticks away nicely

I think my combination of store brand orange juice and Welch's purple grape juice are stable but very busy. Can't wait to try the results in time :)

Hi I started 3 batches of wow on the 11th of February two fermented out fine and are bottled,one I used wgj and 2 l of Tesco pomegranate juice its still at 1020.I added a bit more yeast nutrient last week but it still isn't dropping,it tastes nice but still a bit sweet,just wondering whether to add more yeast or leave it as it is.

That is a long fermentation, I have made numerous gallons of this wine and they have finished within a fourtnight, was there preservative in the juice?
without knowing why it is going so slow its difficult to recommend a solution, you could try shaking it to see if it will speed up.
How much sugar did you add and how full was the DJ?

I used 900 grams of sugar and initially was topped to the shoulder Before being topped up after a few days.I fear the pomegranate juice might have contained preservatives as I started 3 batches with different juices and the other two were fine.well my first attempt at wow so I guess we live and learn at least I have two tasty batches!

I fear the pomegranate juice might have contained preservatives as I started 3 batches with different juices and the other two were fine.

I think you are right, it will probably get lower if you leave it but it is going to take a good few weeks, if you are short on DJ's and patience you could call it one of those things ditch it and start a new WOW, WGJ + Apple/Raspberry (1 litre of each) turn out well. :thumb:

I think I will leave it bubble away slowly and forget about it and see what happens,that wow sounds nice but I am having great difficulty finding wgj in Ireland! Plenty of rgj so will have to base my brew on rgj

If there is preservative in the DJ then it is probably stopping the yeast multiplying rather than killing it.
So basically your yeast population is dyeing out, you can keep topping the numbers up.

What I did was to make a starter solution about 250 ml and once it was going well I dropped about 25 ml into the DJ.
Then I put the solution into the fridge, next week I took it out and gave it a couple of days to revive then I added another 25ml and put it back into the fridge. I repeated this until my starter was about 100ml and then I topped it upto 250ml with some citric acid, pinch of nutrient and pinch sugar. I gave it a few days to get going and then I repeated the process.

Not sure if it was really worth the effort. I was using juice that mentioned only natural ingredients but I am not sure if this means it has 'natural' preservatives in it.

Well, I started my first WOW and variant tonight in 5l PET's, I used 1.5l of sainsbury's RGJ, 1l Orange with 800g of sugar in the WOW, 1.5l RGJ, 1l Apple and Raspberry in t'other with 800g sugar.....seem reasonable? I'm a noob, first kit's only been going 4 days lol

flanaganred said:
I think I will leave it bubble away slowly and forget about it and see what happens,that wow sounds nice but I am having great difficulty finding wgj in Ireland! Plenty of rgj so will have to base my brew on rgj

I am having the same problem so am trying a rgj and apple juice for the first time, I have heard good things about this but time will tell.

jointhedotz said:
Well, I started my first WOW and variant tonight in 5l PET's, I used 1.5l of sainsbury's RGJ, 1l Orange with 800g of sugar in the WOW, 1.5l RGJ, 1l Apple and Raspberry in t'other with 800g sugar.....seem reasonable? I'm a noob, first kit's only been going 4 days lol

Those seem reasonable to me, may be a little too much sugar with that amount of juice. Depends on the ABV you are aiming for and the yeast you are using.

Tip on the RGJ, have a look at the sugar content. You will find that Sainsbury claim it is 12.5g/100ml while Asda is 17.5 which is a big difference. It is not quite that simple becaue if yuo look here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=52199
This is sainsbury RGJ which claims 12.5% sugar but comes in at almost 16. So take the SG of your juice to work out how much sugar is already in there and then adjust to the desired ABV.

I went with Young's super wine yeast, hopefully that'll do the job. Going by the cartons the RGJ is 163g sugar per litre giving me 1135g in the WOW and 1155g in the apple and rasp, both will be topped off with water to 5l. I don't have a hydrometer yet to take SG's but am waiting on the postie. I think where i went wrong was getting excited and chucking the extra half litre of RGJ in each.....silly me. Was aiming for 13-14% ish.

Chippy_Tea said:
My first ever 23 litre FV wine.

5 litres of apple and Raspberry (tesco 100% juice)

5 litres of White grape juice,

3750g sugar taking the total to 5kg

Teapot full of tea and a mug with about 10 bags altogether for tannin.

2 tsp Youngs super wine yeast

5 tsp pectolase

5 tsp nutrient

3 tsp citric acid

5 tsp Glycerine

Its been on 24 hours and is bubbling away nicely.

Please let me know how this turns out. It sounds great.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back