Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all.
I have got my 1st juice wine going well and bubbling away nicely. But i think i may be in trouble.
The must is:
3l wg and peach juice drink
800g sugar
Tea
Lemon
Glycerin

So the dj has less than 11% juice... Proper rookie error!

Was thinking a wilkos concentrate might be a good idea?

Any other suggestions?

Is the 3l of wgj and peach a combined total of 11% or is it just the 11% peach content per litre?

The juices i have looked at have been 40% total, could you fit half a litre of apple juice into it without it being too high then top up with the other half after you rack and stabilise?

Just measured my gravity and it's about 0.95 so I'm going to rack on to a Campden tablet - when, how, and how much do I back sweeten ?

You only need to back sweeten if its too dry for your taste and at .995 it will be a little sweeter than if you had let it get to .990 which most finish at, you may find you like it as it is so taste it first.

If this is your first WoW i would try it at .995 and see what you think of it at that, it will not be a dry wine but it won't be sweet either. Everyone's palate is unique to them, with WoW's i generally stop them between .994-.996, red wine kits that i have done i let ferment out fully to .990. Some folk i think use artificial sweeteners, others use HB shop wine sweeteners, others just add in some unfermented grape juice, either way just be sure you aren't making bottle bombs by adding in extra sugars and letting a secondary fermentation start.

Yep got room for half litre of apple. So obviously a 100% apple, guessing fresh better than concentrate?

Cheers lads, it actually tastes quite unpleasant to me at the moment so I think I'm going to leave it another week and test it again before doing anything to it

Welchs website says 6% grape 5% peach. Probably got about a litre of sugar water and tea in the dj too.

WOW that is low, i think you will need more than a litre to help that in fact it may sound harsh but i wouldn't bother there just isn't enough juice, try to use 100% juice or at the very least 50% juice and double up and another tip is don't use the same juice combining juices (at the same quantity of each) IMHO makes better wine.

Yep got room for half litre of apple. So obviously a 100% apple, guessing fresh better than concentrate?

Most of us aim for a minimum of 2 litres of juice per 4.5 litre demi john, at the minute you have then about 330ml (3 litres at 11%) so to avoid something that isn't to "thin" you would need somewhere over 1.5 litres of 100% juice, this would increase your ABV by quite a bit when you factor in the sugar you have already added.

Welchs website says 6% grape 5% peach. Probably got about a litre of sugar water and tea in the dj too.

I don't even bother looking at the welch's cartons anymore, supermarket own brand juice is usually the cheapest and is for the single popular juices usually 100% either concentrated or NFC. The blended ones you have to watch for more so the fruits that don't give huge amounts of juice like raspberry,blueberry, cranberry, cherry etc. When you go for a WoW try to get 1litre of either 100% red or white grape juice into it at least as this gives you a solid starting point, add in your other juices then until you get another 1 litre juice (min) combined total.

Me too, but I think not from concentrate is more cloudy
But that might be just my inexperienced mined 😇

Ok, thanks for the input chaps.
Im not short of djs or space so im gonna stick in 1 litre of apple and see what she comes out like.
Im guessing a bit like paint stripper and cheap squash...
Lesson learned!

I think it will be a bit watery, you could always add a little juice to each bottle after stabilising so it doesn't ferment.

Hi Guys

I got some WGJ from Waitrose and for the first time I will try white wine. I see most of you just use 1L of WGJ and 1L of Apple Juice, I am thinking if the wine will be better if I put 2L of WGJ and 1L of AJ?

Why not try one of each you may find it's fine then won't be wasting a litre of WGJ every time, if it's too watery you could add juice to taste later.

Two litres should be more than enough, if you want a white wine with a bunch of flavour i just bottled this one on Saturday and we had a bottle last night 1 litre stute white grape juice and 1 litre of lidl vitafit tropical https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=l...=Yp16V82uHoK9gAbMirCACA#imgrc=LsjlfvKu6qTSvM:. Usual WoW add in's as well, this makes for a very good crisp fruity wine that is very drinkable as soon as it is bottled, the other half isn't a fan of white wine in general but she was liking this one a lot, I will certainly be doing it again by the end of the week.

Heads up for those that like to experiment.

The last juice wine i made had no glycerine in it as i had run out, i didn't tell Mrs Tea as i wanted to see if she noticed, she didn't so i left it out of the next one, same again, when i told her she said even thought she now knows she cannot tell the difference so that's it no more glycerine in our juice wines.

Hi guys. Bit confused what makes up ped plastic. Bought a load of cheap water bottles from tesco, emptied them out and bottled with wow. Doesnt say ped plastic anywhere but then neither did any of the other bottles. Is most the stuff in shops ped plastic?? Sorry for the random question

Back