Sugar Puff Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YoungJames said:
Could anyone recommend a kit that would suit this? Really interested in throwing in Sugar Puffs to a brew.

Whatever is cheap......sounds :sick: to me :tongue:

Sugar puffs are about a third sugar (including a little honey) so you are adding a couple of hundred grams of simple sugars in that recipe. The wheat might add head retention and some flavour but all the sweetness should ferment out. The high OG before liquoring back reflects this. It will be interesting to see how this comes out but my opinion is that there is a possibility that the beer will be a little thin and that the suspended wheat mush may add a level turbidity.

If you want to tinker with a kit maybe use a jar of honey in place of some of the sugar/spraymalt I think that its about 80% sugars i.e. 100g of honey would replace 80g sugar. Other than that adding some hop tea or dry hopping would provide a tried and tested tweak to a kit.

These kind of wacky beers always seem to me like trying to reinvent the wheel :D There is a strong and noble tradition of brewing using all sots of ingredients including cereals such as flaked maize (corn flakes) and porridge oats. Sugar puffs appear to me to have too much added to be a sensible choice but that's JMHO.

Ignore that. Stick the sugar puffs in. Live a little. We're only here once, it's not a dress rehearsal. :drunk: :whistle:

Agreed, puffed wheat is pretty much torrified wheat with a load of stuff added.

The various additions are what makes it a bad choice for mashing and besides torrified wheat has a reputation for imparting a shredded wheat taste to beer which is why I (and I know a lot of others) prefer to use wheat malt.

The question was using it for putting in a kit, so that wouldn't be mashed. I still reckon it would be a waste of good beer which is why I wouldn't try it with anything but a cheap kit :D

Update!

So it's now 5th April.

This sugar puff beer was brewed on the 1st March (1 week in primary, 1 week in secondary) then bottled on 16th March.

Here is an image of the beer today (almost 3 weeks in the bottle)

Taste:
- Full mouthfeel
- Frothy and well carbonated
- Strong cereal initial taste
- Slightly sour aftertaste which is a bit like lime (but very pleasant)
- Relatively sweet finish, I don't feel like my mouth is dry at the end.

Colour - Look at the photo - Amber ale.

Overall I'm please with the results and would probably repeat it!

sugar-puff.jpg

Love the sound of this! Just wondering, I've just aquired a 20L Burco Boiler, wondering if I could simply use that for the boil stage of this brew?

Cheers!

I use a 15litre pasta pot for boiling, I generally now only boil about 6 litres then add 6 litres of cold water to save waiting hours for it to naturally cool in a water bath.

Back