Stupid question about pressurising keg with an S30 cylinder

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drf

Reaction score
OK, I've never used a CO2 injector before. I have a keg with what I understand to be an S30 valve, and a Hambleton Bard Super30 cylinder. Do I just screw the cylinder on until something starts happening? Should this require a reasonable amount of force? I can get the cylinder on hand-tight but beyond that it doesn't seem to do anything.

I'm sure I'm being remarkably dense!

It should just thread on until the co2 is heard injecting?
Is there a pin in the centre of the threads on the cap?
This should push the valve seat on the Co2 bottle.?

It should be full - I only got it a week ago!

The valve doesn't have a pin in the centre of it, so I don't see how it's supposed to work. I ordered the barrel as one with an S30 valve though, so I assume it's the right one. I got it from

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/aca ... rrels.html

the 5 Gallon Plastic Barrel - S30 valve (Ref: 100791)

The S30 valves I have don't have pins in them.
The pin is on the CO2 cannister.
It is very easy to screw the cannister on to the S30 cross threaded in which case it will jam before before valve on it is depressed.
Another check is to push the pin on the cannister down very carefully with a screw driver to check if there is any CO2 in it.

Would you believe it - I've determined the cannister was empty! I was suspicious as the pin in the canister seemed loose. Had a word with the shop where I got it, and it turns out one of their assistants got confused because someone had returned an empty in the yellow plastic wrapper! Mumble grumble. I was hoping to leaktest my keg tonight prior to using it tomorrow. Hopefully the shop will have a delivery of new cannisters tomorrow!

Latest posts

Back