Stu’s edited Questions thread #2 Wyeast 1388. Any ideas?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m still have lots of questions and I hate keep opening a new thread every time. It seems needy.
So I’ll add to this one. The original question may no longer be relevant, so hop to the end of the thread.

Question #2. Wyeast 1388.

I've had an absolute nightmare with this Duvel clone. I thought it might be a fun idea. It's not.
After all the fun and games I had yesterday with burnt on crushed malt and trying to get it down to temperature (I did!) I followed the instructions on the "Smack pack". I had a feeling it might not do much,because the yeast didn't put much extra gas in the pack.

Pitched it last night at around 20c (Says 64-80c and it's advised you start low and raise it over several days)
Came home this evening to check on it. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. The wort is flat as a fart.

Any ideas?

Question #1 (now answered)
I have an inkbird. I notice that its operating temperature is up to 120c. I also have a 10L urn.
Is the any reason why I can’t use the inkbird to control the urn so that my sparge water is bang on the right temperature, rather than having to manually monitor the urn with an oven thermometer? Can you put the end of the metal sensor in water?

Also, what’s the difference between a beer faucet from one of the online shops vs the ones on Amazon? Amazon has an amazing range. I intend to mount it in my fridge. What should I be looking for?
Any reason why something like this would be rubbish?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0D5HMKF9Y/

Last edited:
... so that my sparge water is bang on the right temperature ...
1: That's not a realistic expectation! The commonly used Inkbirds don't work in a "bang-on" fashion, but they'll be close enough (they might cause a minor initial "over-shoot" of selected temperature, but the temperature will settle down quick enough). So: "No", like @MashBag said. (I use an Inkbird to heat sparge water but use the panel-mount "PID" controller that will attempt to avoid overshoot - and they cost a little more!).

2: The faucets are the same as you might pick up from your local HB shop, so "no" again. In fact, the one you link isn't from Amazon ... it's one of their "Marketplace" sellers called "Jiemaitte" (they are a UK shopfront for a Chinese outfit). Watch out for them, delivery times may not be as good as you might expect from Amazon.

I don't have an inkbird so can't comment about the probe in water, but fitting a thermowell to an urn is a cheap and easy solution.

Thread 'Thermowell for inkbird probe' https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/thermowell-for-inkbird-probe.102102/
I don't expect it to be perfect. I just can't see it being any worse than the method I'm currently using.
Obviously, I'm warming my water whilst doing the mash and the beer I'm making is a multi-stage mash, so was hoping to avoid having to manage sparge water at the same time.
I don't yet have a pump setup on my Maischfest either, so I'm reliant on the jug and colander method.
That's what I was expecting :) Thank you.

1: That's not a realistic expectation! The commonly used Inkbirds don't work in a "bang-on" fashion, but they'll be close enough (they might cause a minor initial "over-shoot" of selected temperature, but the temperature will settle down quick enough). So: "No", like @MashBag said. (I use an Inkbird to heat sparge water but use the panel-mount "PID" controller that will attempt to avoid overshoot - and they cost a little more!).

2: The faucets are the same as you might pick up from your local HB shop, so "no" again. In fact, the one you link isn't from Amazon ... it's one of their "Marketplace" sellers called "Jiemaitte" (they are a UK shopfront for a Chinese outfit). Watch out for them, delivery times may not be as good as you might expect from Amazon.
Ah, good point on #2. It's exactly the same though, as this one which is bizarrely cheaper. And Prime would have it to me tomorrow.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CFXMXPF5/
Not that I need it any time soon. My kegs are currently empty and will be for the next few weeks.

As an aside, I ordered 2 things from Aliexpress last weekend. One turned up yesterday, one turned up today.
I wasn't expecting them for weeks.

@Stu What you want to do is perfectly valid, my post about the thermowell was purely about it being a solution to not risking damaging your inkbird probe through submersion in water, particularly repeatedly over time.

@Stu What you want to do is perfectly valid, my post about the thermowell was purely about it being a solution to not risking damaging your inkbird probe through submersion in water, particularly repeatedly over time.
Yeah, I'm thinking about something else. I really need to do this tomorrow too.

I'll have a thunk overnight.

Latest posts

Back