Sterilising

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Videne and tap water for me too. Makes sanitising a doddle, esp. when doing 40 bottles.

Doesn't it turn all your kit brown though??

If not then I may give it a go.

peelman said:
Doesn't it turn all your kit brown though??
If not then I may give it a go.

It would if you left it in there for a long time but the recommended contact time is 1 minute. If you mix it at 1.25ml/L and don't leave it in long then I doubt you would notice it.

rpt said:
peelman said:
Doesn't it turn all your kit brown .
I was wondering about this too. Can you reuse the solution like you can with Starsan?

Yes, you can resuse it - it will gradually lose its colour and effectiveness though.

When I make up my videne at 1.25ml per 1L it is almost clear as soon as I've made the mixture - can this be right?

Is it effective?

:?:

I use it at aprox 2ml per litre and it is almost clear.
I have done 2 brews with it at this strength and have had no problems with the brews getting going and fermenting well.

My PET bottles are now nice and firm too after almost aweek so once again no problem with the secondary either :thumb:

I really don't know why anyone would use anything else other than a no rinse steriliser other than not knowing how much easier it is to use!
I used VWP and now i know how much easier Videne is i would never go back. :thumb:

Andy

This is a very usefull thread, for me, thanks one and all. I was thinking before I read it that I should be using a no rinse sterilizer. I have used Milton in my PET bottles and even with thorough rinsing I think one bottle in my last batch had a chemical taste. So it's off to Leyland homebrew by Friday when I should be bottling my Citra beer. If the smell's anything to go by it's going to be a cracker :thumb:

Thanks Andy - how long do you reckon mixture will last, as some people say if it looses colour then its loosing its effectiveness - mine starts clear lol

:wha:

At 2ml a brew i just chuck it, you get 250 brews out of one 500ml bottle and at around £8 a bottle if my calculations are correct (probably not) it works out at 3.2p per brew so it's not worth keeping the mixture/solution. IMO.

Andy

Latest posts

Back