Steeping crushed malt???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ginger Ninja

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi,

Im planning an extract brew this weeked and have just got all my ingredients sorted.
However the malt that I had wanted to steep prior to the boiling arrived crushed (i had forgotten to ask for it whole). So im guessing if i put it in my muslin bag and steep it all the little bits will leak out into my boiler. So i was thinking about steeping it in a seperate cooking pot and then passing the liquid through as many sives / muslin bags etc as i can find before pouring it into my boiler. Does this sound sensible? I dont want any bits to get into the boil as I belive the malt starts to release tanin when it gets too hot??

I've actually done several of the partial mash kits. What they all called for about 20to30 min of steeping in a muslin bag right in the boiler. I did what you said steeped in a separate and ran it thru a folded over fine nylon bag. I didn't get bitter tannin flavors so it works.

I used to do extract brews with the malts in a piece of cloth suspended in the boiler worked a treat. some times grains leaked out but they were filtered buy the hop stainer so no long lasting detriment.

I would put them in a bag in the boiler.

:thumb:

Back