Starting at Home

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingknutsack

Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking to scale down opperations and start brewing at home. Due to the overwhelming amount of information available can anyone recommend me to some posts to read on making mash tuns/boilers/hlts etc using stuff from the DIY shop. I'm on a budget, hence making my own beer at home now as well as work.

Thanks in advance.

interesting handle :D

down? wrk????????????????

do tell!
loads of how-to's around here, do a search, check the stickies and all that - ask a question and it will be answered!

Good luck
:cheers:

Yes - I noticed the search button. I'm a little new to forums too. The list of options looked a bit overwhelming. I will have another look when I have more time.I was hoping that someone may have a few good links tucked away in their bookmarks they might care to share. Not wishing to sound lazy, I'm also a little short of time as well as money at the moment i'm afraid due to matrominal issues. (I can highly recommend divorce if you haven't already tried it, as long as you don't mind living in a smaller house).

kingknutsack said:
........... recommend divorce if you haven't already tried it, as long as you don't mind living in a smaller house).

Bugger that for a lark :!: far too expensive :roll:

Baz Chaz said:
kingknutsack said:
........... recommend divorce if you haven't already tried it, as long as you don't mind living in a smaller house).

Bugger that for a lark :!: far too expensive :roll:

:nono: :nono: I've already had two divorces :eek: ...and given away 2 houses and a big chunk of my Police Pension ..No More thanks :lol: :lol:

kingknutsack said:
Yes - I noticed the search button. I'm a little new to forums too. The list of options looked a bit overwhelming. I will have another look when I have more time.I was hoping that someone may have a few good links tucked away in their bookmarks they might care to share. Not wishing to sound lazy, I'm also a little short of time as well as money at the moment i'm afraid due to matrominal issues. (I can highly recommend divorce if you haven't already tried it, as long as you don't mind living in a smaller house).

I started based on these, although I haven't followed them exactly :
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3104
http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-Y ... 0-STEP-1-/
http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-Y ... 0-STEP-2-/

Here's my guide to using the Tesco value kettles to heat a boiler.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9899

Bits and pieces on my progress here :
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=9801

Was hoping to do it all in for ball park £100, but so far suspect it's pushing closer to £150 :hmm:

Best of luck whichever route you choose, and don't hesitate to ask for advice :drink: :drink:

kingknutsack said:
I can highly recommend divorce if you haven't already tried it, as long as you don't mind living in a smaller house.

Sorry KKS .. I was in a bit of a hurry too at that point .. big yin's links above are good ones .. and there are lots in here who have made their own bits so all the help you'll need!

Yup, been there. done that. I cried when I wrote the cheque that went via her solicitor. Well up every time I think of it!

Good luck with yours! :cheers:

kingknutsack said:
............ I'm on a budget, hence making my own beer at home now as well as work.

You can make / adapt all sorts :thumb:

I was lucky to be given a SS boiler from a mate (a favour returned ;) )

Mash tun was a scrounged 30 ltr barrell and a scrat around the workshop broduced everyting to convert it :!:

so it needn't all be expensive bits :!: just keep looking round the threads and you'll find allsorts of different ideas :idea:

highwayman said:
............ :nono: :nono: I've already had two divorces :eek: ...and given away 2 houses and a big chunk of my Police Pension ..No More thanks :lol: :lol:

Doh, should've learned from the first one hwm :( but got there in the end :?

Looks like my marital advice didn't prove very popular. I would have thought two divorces would leave someone twice as happy.

Thank you for those links, they give me plenty to think about and i've started to browse through the rest of the forum.

The bucket inside a bucket device reminded me of a mash screen described in an old book on brewing I once had that worked on the same principle. I believe this was what was described http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/aca ... g_Bag.html ?? Although I seem to recall the author suggested making it yourself, or getting your wife to do it (ha ha ha). I think I can stretch to £8.50.

Another question if I may. At the risk of sounding foolish, what is a Herms and Rins and what is a Pico brewery ?

Quote "down? wrk????????????????" - Tony
================================

sorry I missed your question; technically I'm scaling up as I have never brewed beer at home (except maybe from one of those tins as a yoof), it will be scaling down from the brewery plant at work. Sadly I don't own it or I'd use that to brew my own beer ha ha.

I won't mention the name in case I upsets my employers but it's really not very interesting. I was told there are other brewers on these forums by an acquaintance, I had a link to his website but it seems to have disappeared now.

kingknutsack said:
At the risk of sounding foolish, what is a Herms and Rins and what is a Pico brewery ?
HERMS - Heat Exchanger Recirculating Mash System
RIMS - Recirculating Imfusion Mash System

pico brewery - A Very small brewery

Personally I don't think you can call any brewery a micro unless its over 1BBL . . . so my large system is a pico brewery (It should have been a nano brewery but ) . . . and my tiny 20L plant is a femto brewery . . .Like here

That's a creative adaption of the term microbrewery. So the collection of plastic buckets I intend to use will be a femto brewery ha ha ha, very amusing.

Still a bit confused with a herms and rims. I will have to look into it sometime.

Latest posts

Back