Starsan

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Landlord.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have always used Milton but am moving to Chemsan I remember many members used to use Starsan what happened to it, is Chemsan the same?

What other similar type of sanitisers do members use (suitable for stainless steel, quick acting and no rinse)

I've used both and they do similar things. Much prefer Starsan because I find chemsan can leave a slimy residue if you soak components in it for some time...which is what I do, I have a bucket of the stuff and leave loose parts in the bucket in between brews and with Chemsan they need a good rinse off before use as it has a slimy residue...and over a really long period of time a white deposit can form on the surface of the components that needs a bit of elbow grease to remove. Not a problem as such and I'm sure it does just as good a job as Starsan but just needs a bit more elbow grease than Starsan. But Starsan seems to be getting hard to get hold of. I thought Starsan was not able to be sold in the UK and the equivalent was StellaClean which I've also used from time to time, but that is hard to get hold of these days.

Anyway you say you are looking to use instead of Milton...my understanding is that you'd use Milton for a proper clean like you would Sodium Percarbonate/VPW/Caustic rather than as a contact no-rinse sanitiser as you would Starsan/Chemsan? if that is the case then they are different tools for different jobs.

Milton...my understanding is that you'd use Milton for a proper clean like you would Sodium Percarbonate/VPW/Caustic rather than as a contact no-rinse sanitiser as you would Starsan/Chemsan? i
Milton is mainly used for sanitising baby bottles etc, I use 2 tablets in a washing up bowl of water and put all the small stuff in there I pour a couple of litres into the FV put the lid on and shake it so all surfaces are covered, I then leave it 7 minutes and shake again a further 8 minutes and it's done it's thing, it's also no rinse.

Starsan and Chemsan are basically the same thing, using a blend of phosphoric acid and a sulfonic acid to do their sanitising. I batch mix 5 litres with RO water at a time, and it lasts months without any reduction in effect. Might be different if you're mixing with tap water, but I wouldn't keep it if doing so.

There's really no need to soak in either - 2 minutes contact time is preferable, but that can be done by applying with a spray bottle and then leaving to drip.

I just buy whichever is cheaper.

works fine with tap water...after a few months the PH is still where it needs to be. I keep loose parts in the bucket just to keep them out of the dusty environment of my garage so when I need to use them on the next brew day I just pull out of the bucket and use. But yes contact time is pretty quick so really convenient.

Chemsan is uk made I think and readily available. I use 5l on brew day and 5l on packaging day and don’t bother to keep it as that’s a low enough cost. No complaints about function. After it’s primary use it is used as final rinse on the kit after washing eg the kettle or fermenter.

I use chemsan mixed with spotless water. I used to use tap water but that used to go cloudy (sign of too high ph). I mix it in the BZ set for about 45c so it is hand hot when I use it. I use it until it doesn’t look clean anymore (like when I clean up after making a stout :laugh8: ).

Wasn't the issue with Starsan, labelling?

Even FiveStar no longer list the 4 and 8 oz bottles on their own website, so perhaps they stopped the smaller packs altogether.

Latest posts

Back