Spring Thing 2011 - I was there!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Ken

Yes thats right each beer was made entirely by each brewer in their own mash tuns, Karl just provided us with the guide lines to brew from.

Wez

As Wez says, we were given a guideline to brew to:

96% pale malt, 4% crystal malt. OG 1.048
Centennial hops to 35 IBU, but how much went into the boil at various timings, choice of yeast, etc. was entirely up to the individual brewer.

From my own perspective, I am a fairly new brewer with only limited experience as yet, have never previously entered any beers into competitions and didn't have the first idea of how things work. My other entries were along the lines of “I'm quite pleased with this brew, which category can I enter it into?”, whereas the class you judged was the only one I brewed to a guideline, and which gained my own highest mark (mid-way between Church End and the class winner).

Thanks for putting me right chaps, esp about the mashing. Don't know how I got that wrong. I plan on revising the words this evening, by which time I expect to be quite thirsty. Might show it to Karl if he's at the Tap, let him get his retaliation in.

Cheers, Ken

Latest posts

Back