So I bought some kegs...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calumscott

Regular.
Reaction score
...four 30l polykegs to be precise on Buster's recommendation. :party: :party:

These are absolutely ideal for me, I brew 40l batches and 30l into keg, 10l into bottles means I can process a whole finished batch in one evening.

But now I need to figure out dispense and that's where I need your help! (Which I will, of course, finally collate into a "How to set up your home bar how to.")

So I want the ability to serve cask-stylee and keg stylee. So beer engine and font. I think I need the following:

4 x kegs - done.
1 x Beer Engine
1 x Font
1 x CO2 bottle
1 x primary reg
2 x secondary regs
2 x S type couplers (that's what type the poly kegs are)
Beer line
Gas line

I think the intention is to have a very low pressure in the keg for cask style hand pull service - just to replace the volume of beer removed at a couple of psi over ambient. Is that right? It may not be how CAMRA would like it to be done but I'm after longevity here rather than total adherence to doctrine...

What have I missed? What tips do you guys have to prevent me screwing up?

What about line cleaning and all that stuff? What with? How often? Do I need special gear?

Anything you can tell me would be very useful!!!

:cheers:

What the benefits with these over cornies? I still bottle everything and really want to go down the kegging route, but I have no way of controlling the temperature of them.

The price!

I don't have any temperature control either (yet) but I do have a nice cool spot where I can set up a dispensing area and I do have a fridge which could be pressed into service for a one-off lager keg I suppose...

I'd like to have a look at a couple of these.
Does he have any left and how can I get in touch with him??

calumscott said:
What about line cleaning and all that stuff? What with? How often? Do I need special gear

You will need to get a line cleaning kit. I use a small cornie I had left over. But you can get small line cleaning bottles on ebay. For the handpull all you need is a bucket as the pump draws the fluid through. Get some purple beer line cleaner. Costs about £10 for 5lt and will last for ages. The purple stuff changes colour when it has muck in, so you know when the line is clean. Then rinse with water, then back to beer.

Oh dear C, how did you manage to get the finance dept to approve that little lot? :whistle:

graysalchemy said:
Oh dear C, how did you manage to get the finance dept to approve that little lot? :whistle:

"I could get 12 of those for the price of the other ones I looked at and just think of all the time I wouldn't spend bottling..."

It wasn't that...

...In all honesty I haven't got a clue. This is going to come back to bite me, isn't it? :lol:

calumscott said:
...In all honesty I haven't got a clue. This is going to come back to bite me, isn't it?

Oh yes :twisted: :twisted: especially with the latest addition to the family next year :lol: :lol:

graysalchemy said:
calumscott said:
...In all honesty I haven't got a clue. This is going to come back to bite me, isn't it?

Oh yes :twisted: :twisted: especially with the latest addition to the family next year :lol: :lol:

Actually I think she was being nice, making sure I can still brew even with the time demands of Offspring V2.0.

So you took the plunge Calum :D ..... if they dont suite your requirements I will gladly buy the lot off you :thumb: , but I have a feeling they will. Good luck with your new venture, I will try and help along the way with any advice I can give. First bit would be to aquire a Sankey S connector and some 3/8 beer line.

Turning your house into a pub eh Calum? You must possess some sort of mystical power to convince SWMBO that was a good idea. Perhaps you could bottle that as well as beer.

I don't know if I mentioned, but I do have some kit you might be interested in.

Give me a shout and I'll talk you through it.

Can these be reused? If so they look like a good replacement for some of my old kegs.

paulgough said:
I don't know if I mentioned, but I do have some kit you might be interested in.

Give me a shout and I'll talk you through it.

You didn't, but I need to know more!! I'm interested in whatever you have...

dennisking said:
I clean my hand pump and line after I finish each polypin, normally every 2 weeks.

Thanks Dennis.

If you had a beer on for longer do you just leave it in the pipe or should you break it down and clean it every so often regardless?

Callum could you let me know some details of price and where to source from.

Purdy peeez.

I don't understand why you need C02 AND a beer engine?

Are you planning on hooking up a type of aspirator/breather to keep the beer fresh for longer than a few days?

Also don't see any shives/spiles/etc?? Essential if you're going for a "cask" beer.

K

Latest posts

Back