size of cool box mash tun

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_spin

Regular.
Reaction score
Guys,

I currently extract brew to 25 litres output with an initial 32 litres of liquor going into the copper. I'm considering moving to AG so will need to size an appropriate cool box to use as a mash tun. I've come across a 32litre Thermos one on Amazon - is this too big/small for the intended output without being under efficient sparging-wise?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermos-Cool-Bo ... d_sim_sg_6

opinions greatly received.

:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think my Argos coolbox is around 18 litres and that's big enough for a 6kg grain bill.

A typical mash of around 5kg of grain in 12 litres of liquor comes up to here:
PB10032702.jpg

Asda have the 24liter boxes in for £7, but seems they need a bit more insulation to keep the temp up for 90min, going by other posts

cheers guys.

hmm the igloo one does look good and after having had a play with mashing outputs in beersmith for sample recipes, I think the 5 gallon capacity should be OK for reasonably strong outputs..

mr_spin said:
cheers guys.

hmm the igloo one does look good and after having had a play with mashing outputs in beersmith for sample recipes, I think the 5 gallon capacity should be OK for reasonably strong outputs..

the other thing with the igloo is its a much better shape for a rotating sparge arm, no corners.

UP

unclepumble said:
mr_spin said:
cheers guys.

the other thing with the igloo is its a much better shape for a rotating sparge arm, no corners.

UP

so you are fly sparging then? If so can I ask what you have done about a sparge arm then?

Also, have you built a manifold for it yet or are you using a false bottom?

mr_spin said:
unclepumble said:
[quote="mr_spin":2j8ys19n]cheers guys.

UP

so you are fly sparging then? If so can I ask what you have done about a sparge arm then?

Also, have you built a manifold for it yet or are you using a false bottom?[/quote:2j8ys19n]

As of yet I am doing nothing with it its still in the post, but planning false bottom and rotating sparge arm, & will make the sparge arm, they are easy enough to make.

UP

on reflection I may have to rule the igloo one out as I have height restrictions if I am going for a gravity system.

unclepumble said:
mr_spin said:
on reflection I may have to rule the igloo one out as I have height restrictions if I am going for a gravity system.

Is that ceiling height restriction, or the need to stand on a stool! :grin:

You could always go with 34ltr £25 http://www.charliesdirect.co.uk/product ... n-cool-box

or 46ltr £39.99 http://www.charliesdirect.co.uk/product ... oler-combo

UP

LOL - hmm at the moment my boiler (a converted 60ltr fv jobbie) sits on my fridge in my shed. If I put the mash tun below it, how do I then get the wort out of the mash tun? If my calcs are correct and I'm doing a 25l brew, I need to get a 32l output from mashing. Its probably simple but I can't see a way of doing it at the moment..

mr_spin said:
unclepumble said:
http://www.charliesdirect.co.uk/product ... n-cool-box[/url]

or 46ltr £39.99 http://www.charliesdirect.co.uk/product ... oler-combo

UP

LOL - hmm at the moment my boiler (a converted 60ltr fv jobbie) sits on my fridge in my shed. If I put the mash tun below it, how do I then get the wort out of the mash tun? If my calcs are correct and I'm doing a 25l brew, I need to get a 32l output from mashing. Its probably simple but I can't see a way of doing it at the moment..[/quote:1nnnmzzv]

When doing 5 gal brews I put boiler on table, mash tun on a chair,then a 2 spare 25ltr buckets on the floor, when the mash is finished, I 1/2 fill the 1st bucket, then switch 2 the second, once the boiler starts to go empty, I move it to where I will boil then i fill it with the 2 1/2 full buckets, easier to carry than 1 full one.

with my other system the pumps do the work simples

UP

unclepumble said:
When doing 5 gal brews I put boiler on table, mash tun on a chair,then a 2 spare 25ltr buckets on the floor, when the mash is finished, I 1/2 fill the 1st bucket, then switch 2 the second, once the boiler starts to go empty, I move it to where I will boil then i fill it with the 2 1/2 full buckets, easier to carry than 1 full one.

with my other system the pumps do the work simples

UP

thanks for that - that would probably work for me. Looks like I'll be out in the shed in the morning measuring up the heights of things to see what I can get away with. I have considered a pump also to save space but was thinking that was overcomplicating things.

edited to ask: do you not run the risk of oxidisation from tipping in the hotter wort from the tun into the boiler or is that a fallacy?

It is not best practice . . . with the majority of beers and UK ingredients it is unlikely that you will notice anything . . . personally I try and reduce harmful brewing practices

Aleman said:
It is not best practice . . . with the majority of beers and UK ingredients it is unlikely that you will notice anything . . . personally I try and reduce harmful brewing practices

I could syphon it in I suppose.. providing I can get the wort collector higher than the boiler! oh my head hurts! :)

Aleman said:

I have to do what keeps the wife happy during the winter months AM, when It warms up, no more brewing in house, therefore 3 tier, no moving.

UP

mr_spin said:
just thought I'd post an update:

after lots of procrastination I ended up buying an Igloo Marine 49litre coolbox - I thought I'd go this way so I can brew in bigger quantities in future rather than having to buy again!

I got it from here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IGLOO-MARINE-52-P ... 4839ebb279

Nice piece of kit and the same price as my 5 gallon Igloo, :clap:

UP

guys, just building up my new mash tun now and going for a 22mm copper manifold system.

How wide should the slits be cut into the copper? I have only got a 1mm wide angle grinder disc - is that OK or should it be wider or narrower?

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back