Selling Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hypnoticmonkey

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hey all,

Given that you can brew and sell 7000 litres of cider a year without having to pay duty on it, It's something I'm seriously considering at the moment.

Does anyone know what kind of food hygiene regulations would have to be complied with if I was making cider to cell in local shops? Could I literally just make it, bottle it and take it down to the shops to ask them to sell it?

personally, I would like not to go blind. I guess if the brew tastes good there is no chance of weird infections!

ericstd said:
Kyral210 said:
I guess if the brew tastes good there is no chance of weird infections!
Oh I don't know - Pear drops and Cyanide! :whistle:
ericstd said:
Kyral210 said:
I guess if the brew tastes good there is no chance of weird infections!
Oh I don't know - Pear drops and Cyanide! :whistle:

:wha: Hydrogen cyanide smells like burnt almonds
Fancy some marzipan? :grin:

I think on a more serious note, if you are confident that your must was sanitary before the yeast and your equipment and processes are sanitary then it is safe. Im sure there are some labs you can pay to test your product if you are worried.

Kyral210 said:
Hydrogen cyanide smells like burnt almonds
Fancy some marzipan?
Some of the wifes meals have a marzipan twang, maybe it's because I won't eat the mushrooms anymore :hmm:
Should I be worried?? :?

Almonds actually contain cyanide :eek:

Is cider treated differently to beer in respect of HMR&C ?? :wha:

A quick look on google found this click this.

Basically you have to inform HMR&C but also local planning ( you may need planning consent for a change of use of the building in which you plan to brew), enviromental health and trading standards.

But it does seem possible but probably not in time for this season if you have to go through so much red tape.

:cheers:

AG

markp said:
Is cider treated differently to beer in respect of HMR&C ?? :wha:

Yes, mainly out of respect for all the West Country microbreweries.

Your total cider production (including that for personal use) cannot exceed 7,000l a year and you have to register your property with HMRC as a brewery exempt from payment of cider duty. You're also required to keep details of every cider you brew, and every cider you throw away in order to show that you've not exceeded 7000l in any 12 month period.

[quote:zopehcdd]Is cider treated differently to beer in respect of HMR&C ??
Yes, mainly out of respect for all the West Country microbreweries. [/quote:zopehcdd]
Epic West Country Win!!!!

couldent you just sell it at the carboot sale ?? lol

when i told a few forigners at work i was makeing home brew they all asked me how much would i sell them some "moonshine" :drunk: lol

Latest posts

Back