Save money on bottling.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Beerbelly

Reaction score
Hello fella's, To save money on bottling. Go to Tesco and purchase 2 litre bottles of there still water. The bottles are 17p each, you can use the water for your brew and bottle up safely. Throw the bottles away after drinking the contents. 17p is nothing really. That's what I do. You always get a fresh couple of pints, x4 per 2 litres. :drink: Make mine a stout please. :hmm:

I would never want to drink 2 litres of the same beer in one sitting.

I always use a couple of 500ml cola bottles as pressure testers, but other than that I try to avoid clear bottles, and I re-use proper brown glass pint bottles, which I got for free.

4 litres = 7 pints
2 bottles of your water = 34p
7 of my crown caps = 10.5p

Funnily enough, my housemate and I were considering getting a couple of cases of Tesco's own brand continental stubby beers (Biere d'Or I think). They're 284ml brown bottles, which is handy for making strong beers, and the price to quality ratio for the drink is also pretty good.

WelshPaul said:
Funnily enough, my housemate and I were considering getting a couple of cases of Tesco's own brand continental stubby beers (Biere d'Or I think). They're 284ml brown bottles, which is handy for making strong beers, and the price to quality ratio for the drink is also pretty good.
Agreed. That Bier D'Or really isn't bad for the price.

I'd check on those beers before you buy multiple cases, I don't know that particular brew but a lot of the smaller continental stubbies have twist-off crown caps, and I'm not sure if you can re-use them.

The glass is usually also quite thin.

Two problems with the stubbies -

1. The contents are undrinkable ****.
2. The bottles are really very thin indeed.

I would not use them if you paid me as I dont like getting perforated by flying glass.

Yes ,I would second the thin glass point .I had a bottle of that shatter a couple of months back from being left in weak sunshine...not bright ,or a hot day....just blew up next to the car I was working on .The thin glass and the pressure of even a lever crown capper ,well ,.............

I found ginger ale PET bottles a good source of brown ones and seven up type lemonade good for greens.

I still say best to chat up a barperson (whichever way you like it) and acquire some grolsch swing tops .You DO see them on e bay but they hold their value so often not cheap . Get chatting ! Might even get some CO2 and retired piping ,fittings and a reg or two ! :cheers:

Well we don't tend to carbonate our stronger beers that much and bottles are stored in our coal cellar so I'm not that worried about glass thickness. The only exception is my APA recipe at 6.5% which invariably lives in a cornie keg.

Check the neck of the bottle. Crown capper may not work. (I don't think it will)

I have just ordered 2x 24 ox bar bottles from Tesco direct cost £7.19 for 24 expectig delivery today along with 2 beer kits since I have just started brewing after a 30 year absence I am impressed with my first couple of brews and looking forward to many more. Planning to visit the dark side next year after reading this forums excellent postings.

Drinking
Nelsons Revenge
Coopers Larger

Conditioning
Smugglers Gold
Coopers Larger

even cheaper , raid your local boozer, they have to pay to throw em away,ask em nicely and theyll put em to one side. magners and bulmers bottles are perfect. quite thick and strong, brown so no light skunking of the hops for ag brewers and their not made of fekking p.e.t. so no loss of gas or ingress of oxygen and it doesnt look sh!t...........

ive havent used plazzy bottles since i was twenty and im 41 now, believe me its much better to use glass

Bottle bank lurking is quite rewarding....though people may talk behind your back about your motivations....I wonder if their is a slang term for people who lurk around recycling points ? "Bottlers" ? :wha: :wha:

:rofl:

shocker said:
Bottle bank lurking is quite rewarding....though people may talk behind your back about your motivations....I wonder if their is a slang term for people who lurk around recycling points ? "Bottlers" ? :wha: :wha:

:rofl:

Brownie burglars?

Magners marauders?

Glass pikeys?

quote "Glass pikeys?" :clap: :D :lol: :rofl:

thats bloody classic ! I have been called some things in my time as an ,ahem!, keen recycler and staunch opponent of any expense....but "glass pikey" ! I may have to get a T shirt made....... ;)

Latest posts

Back