Sanitation advice for a newby

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drf

Reaction score
More newby questions. I'll get started on the brew eventually!

I'm after a bit of sanitation advice. The main thing is the FV, everything else that comes into contact with the wort I'll sanitise in a bucket and give a few good washes with cooled, boiled water to remove the disinfectant (I have a pot of VWP for that). For the FV, it's not going to get filled with disinfectant if I can avoid that so will it be sufficient to make up some disinfectant, pour some in and give the whole inside a good wiping with a clean colth that's been in the disinfectant. For washing it out, can this be accomplished in a similar way, using cooled boiled water.

Similarly for the cask, after a good old clean I'd invisage putting some disinfectant in and shaking it around, followed by a water wash or two.

Thanks in advance

VWP is cheaper than 5 gallons of beer, fill your FV and your keg with a solution and let them stand for at least 20 minutes, drain and rinse really well.
If you really don't want to/physically cant deal with full fv's and kegs get hold of some Videne antiseptic solution from your pharmacist and make a solution of 1.5 ml/l with water. Put this into a new plant sprayer and use it to wet the internal surfaces of your vessels, leave for 10 minutes, drain and rinse if you want to :thumb:

I used to use thin bleach (19p a litre from Toscos). Fill the FV/Cask with water and about a pint of bleach.

This obviously only works well if the vessels are clean - as yours are new you shouldn't have a problem.

You can use tap water to rinse rather than cooled boiled water.

Cheers, I was really concerned about having to deal with such a volume of liquid & how to tip it out/rinse the FV. It's just occured to me that I have a syphon of course so that'll make the job easier!

Also, I should've posted the original message in the Beer Brewing Discussion forum, sorry. It could maybe be moved by a moderator!

drf said:
Cheers, I was really concerned about having to deal with such a volume of liquid & how to tip it out/rinse the FV. It's just occured to me that I have a syphon of course so that'll make the job easier!

Also, I should've posted the original message in the Beer Brewing Discussion forum, sorry. It could maybe be moved by a moderator!

Done :thumb:

I must admit I like the sound of the videne. A quick Googling has revealed people having some on hand to do little bits of sanitising on brew day, e.g. thermometers and spoons. I'll see if I can get some.

As to rinsing to remove VWP, would that be a couple of filling ups of the vessel with water, or just a decent wash down?

drf said:
I must admit I like the sound of the videne. A quick Googling has revealed people having some on hand to do little bits of sanitising on brew day, e.g. thermometers and spoons. I'll see if I can get some.

As to rinsing to remove VWP, would that be a couple of filling ups of the vessel with water, or just a decent wash down?

VWP needs a decent wash down, it sticks like a bugger to everything.

Latest posts

Back