Saison attempt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So expect an FG around 1000 plus or minus a couple of points and don't bottle it until you;re well and truly there. Or, use champagne (cava,prosecco, spumante) bottles.
Forewarned is forearmed...thank you....everyday is a schoolday..thats what i love about this forum

I would strip it back and go with a basic grain bill

4kg pilsner
500g wheat

20g noble hops @60mins
20g Mandarina@10mins + orange peel
30g Mandarina@ flameout

Not sure if you have temp control. If you do start low at 18 and slowly step it up to 24
Looks good to me, but why would you restrain the temperature? I'd let it work it;s way up towards 30C.

Looks good to me, but why would you restrain the temperature? I'd let it work it;s way up towards 30C.
Depending on the yeast strain. I normally use french Saison yeast. That temp gets Me down close to zero or 1.002. what I like about that yeast it leaves some body in the beer. The Du Pont strain behaves completely different.

We aren’t helping here too much info as this was one of my favourite malt bills 🤣

IMG_3910.jpeg

Saison should be pale, refreshing, well attenuated, bitter (or sour), but most of all, rustic.

The grain bill is great, add some noble hops at the start and end of the boil. And leave the spices in the spice rack. Job done.

I SMaSH it when using a hop not typically European, and never anything Piney.

Otherwise, my standard grist is rustic, with

Extra Pale 75%
Munich 10%
3x5% from a selection of malted or unmalted, wheat, rye, oats, maize, rice, buckwheat and when I find some, spelt.

Doing both gets too confused, IMO.

Last edited:
Never had a Saison until the brew and swap, it’s now one of my favourite styles, from the few I’ve brewed there is no need for additional ingredients the yeast does it all.
My favourite combination is Saaz and Sorachi ace, the current one I have is Styrian Dragon and Citra which again I like, just go with what hops you like, it’ll be great.
I've added a handful of Kaffir Lime Leaves at 5min left in the boil, along with using Sorachi Ace, was a great beer, finishes real dry with Saison yeast.

Back