Racking my Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verb77

Reaction score
I’ve been reading about “Racking” my beer. Is this just as straight forward as transferring my beer from one vessel to another, or is there more to it. I have also read that in racking it, I will need to leave it for a week or two afterwards before I can bottle it. Is this correct or am I assuming completely wrong. What are the actual pro’s and con’s of doing this. :wha:

I don't bother if kegging and keg straight from primary, my thoughts being every move is another chance to introduce nasties. If I am bottling I generally syphon to a bottling bucket to rack the beer off the yeast so as not to disturb it when bottling. I do this all in the same day so never leave the beer in secondary.

People do rack to secondary for a week or so though, and I'm not saying it's wrong - I just don't do it. :D

BUT... What does "Racking" my brew actually do?? What are the benefits to doing this??

Verb77 said:
BUT... What does "Racking" my brew actually do?? What are the benefits to doing this??

'Racking' is just the process of transferring from one vessel to another. IMO, there are no real benefits to transferring to a secondary unless you are planning to bulk mature for an extended period of time. Others may have a different opinion.

sib67 said:
Verb77 said:

'Racking' is just the process of transferring from one vessel to another. IMO, there are no real benefits to transferring to a secondary unless you are planning to bulk mature for an extended period of time. Others may have a different opinion.

I think there are real benefits of racking. When bottling or kegging, there is less yeast in the receiving vessel. Don't bulk mature for an extended period on the yeast as you could get off flavours.
With a good yeast, the secondary fermentation in the final vessel should produce a sediment which sticks like the proverbial to a blanket! and when poured will not be disturbed. Too much yeast carried over without racking will not settle too well.
Having said that, some people prefer to have the yeast in their beer.

I have to go along with Marsie there, get the beer off the trub once the vigorous fermentation has ended, usually around 4 days. Off-flavors can be transferred to the beer if left on for too long - and also, bottling/kegging etc is a damn site easier after a week in secondary.

Back