Klarstein Mundschenk

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little to no Milton residue suggests some! This could be your cause, what did the beer taste like before you bottled it?
It's probably the only beer I've ever brewed that I didn't taste immediately before bottling, sods law really, that certainly would have narrowed it down a bit.

I use Milton to sterilise everything, have done for decades, this is the first time I've ever had off flavours of any kind.

The more I read up on this, the more I'm inclined to believe it may have actually been the water after all. I've only ever done one gallon at a time, left the water overnight to de-chlorinate and it's been fine.

This was the first time I've brewed five gallons at a time, would it need to sit out longer? Would stirring it every once in a while help? Or is it a good idea to use a campden tablet?

I have had that off flavour before when accidentally pouring yeast sediment into the glass. Maybe from bottling with too much suspended yeast? Or it was just certain strains?

Neither water or kettle seem likely sources to me - not that chlorinated water couldn’t be an issue but plenty of people use no treatment.

Back