R.I.P Thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  • Dame Maggie Smith, star of the Harry Potter films and Downton Abbey, has died at the age of 89
  • A statement from Dame Maggie's sons says she died peacefully in hospital on Friday morning
  • Fellow Downton Abbey actor Hugh Bonneville says she was a "true legend of her generation" with a "sharp eye, sharp wit and formidable talent"
  • A legend of British stage and screen, Dame Maggie won two Oscars during her career - for The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie in 1970 and California Suite in 1979

1727449682875.png

Kris Kristofferson has passed away.

Not only a musical legend in his own right but he discovered and introduced the late great John Prine to the world.

I was fortunate enough to attend a Kris Kristofferson concert in the Waterfront Hall in Belfast back in the day for which I remain eternally grateful.

Rest easy Kris.

Geoff Capes, the British shot put record holder and two-time world's strongest man, has died aged 75.

Capes set the record for the longest shot put by a British man with a distance of 21.68m in 1980.

In a statement, Capes' family said: "The family of Geoffrey Capes would like to announce his sad passing today, 23rd October.

"Britain's finest shot putter and twice world's strongest man."

Capes had an illustrious career, twice winning gold in the shot at both the Commonwealth Games and the European Indoor Championships.

He was a three-time Olympian and came closest to winning a medal with a fifth-place finish at the 1980 Games in Moscow.

Capes, who was born in Lincolnshire, was also a six-time champion at the World Highland Games.

His victories in the prestigious World's Strongest Man event, which made him a household name, came in 1983 in Christchurch, New Zealand and 1985 in Cascais, Portugal.

Fellow World's Strongest Man winner Eddie Hall, who won in 2017, paid tribute to Capes by saying he was a "true legend of strength".

"Not only was Geoff a two-time World's Strongest Man and a record-breaking shot putter, but he was also a giant in heart and spirit," said Hall.

"He paved the way for athletes like me, showing that British grit and determination could conquer the world.

"Geoff was an inspiration to so many of us growing up, a man whose incredible achievements and character left a lasting mark on the strength community.

"His legacy will continue to inspire the next generation of strongmen and athletes around the world.

"Rest easy, big man. You'll always be remembered as one of the greatest."

1729711987106.png

Latest posts

Back