quick advice on Bock strength

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garylewis1966

Reaction score
I was hoping to start a Muntons Bock tonight but am seeking advice on variables before I kick off. The kit is 1.8kg so a bit more than the usual 1.7g kits. Intending to use 500g light spraymalt, a tin of 454g (Holland and Barrett) liquid malt extract and about 300g dextrose, with 23 litres water. I'm aiming for 4.5%, nothing too strong for me but could be way off the intended strength. Can anyone suggest whether I should increase or decrease the sugar? Cheers, any advice would be much welcome :pray:

I don't know such watery bockbiers. Normally they are ~6.5% ABV, over 1.065 OG for traditional German bockbier.

thanx zgoda, so more sugar for a more typical bock? The instructions say 1kg sugar or 50/50 sugar/spraymalt with 23l and I was looking for a full bodied bock without so much strength as a traditional (hence added malt) but might go stronger if there's a risk of spoiling it. You said "watery", which suggests too much water, so it sounds like it'll be better brewing short, say 20l and of course this will make it stronger in itself, right?

Can anybody else (or you zgoda, if you take check in again) give an opinion on this please? Cheers

Never made any extract/kit bock but I'd stay away from sugar, as Pittsy said. German beers are all malt due to the purity law. The bock character comes from yeast, it's a lager beer in Germany and strong ale in Holland, like all-malt dubbel/brune.

Brilliant advice, cheers. I have 500g of light DME and 454 HB liquid malt and if I use 20l, you would imagine 5% ish, so with 23l it'll a bit weaker.

I also picked up a tin of tate and lyle black syrup to use on something, some day though would imagine even a small quantity might spoil a Muntons Bock - what d'ya think?

It will not be a true German bockbier, but fine winter warmer, I think. ;)

you're right zgoda, what was I thinking. I might use some of this black stuff on a Coopers Dark Ale. Cheers again

Back