Question re: different spraymalts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drf

Reaction score
This will of course be a matter of taste, but I'm after a bit of advice for a newby. I'll be trying a first brew soon with a Youngs Harvest Yorkshire Bitter kit. I'll be using a spraymalt instead of household sugar, but am wondering which spraymalt to use. Presumably the darker the malt, the stronger the malt taste? I don't want an overly malty brew so would the advice be to use a light one?

Of course I suppose the thing to do really is just choose one now, and then do another brew with an alternative to compare the taste!

use a 1kg of DSM and 1/2 kg of silverspoon light brown sugar. thats what i used in the youngs kit im drink now. and it turned out a good drink. nice and dark in colour and a nice nutty aroma. :cheers:

The sugar the kit calls for is to bulk up the alcohol; the kit makers think they have all the dark malt flavours in the tin already. Personally I'd go with light spraymalt so that the residuals you are left with don't make it too dark, but it's up to you. I have seen people replace with the dark and be happy with it.

ano said:
The sugar the kit calls for is to bulk up the alcohol; the kit makers think they have all the dark malt flavours in the tin already. Personally I'd go with light spraymalt so that the residuals you are left with don't make it too dark, but it's up to you. I have seen people replace with the dark and be happy with it.

Well, I ordered various bits & pieces I need to do the brew yesterday, and I've got 1kg of medium & 500g dark spraymalt. I'll see what happens! I'd rather not put any white sugar in it, maybe I'll think about using the 1kg of medium with 500g light brown sugar. It is the first brew so I'm expecting a bit of trial and error to be the order of the day!

Latest posts

Back