Pumkin Amber Ale today

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking I'd gellatin it when I move it to my secondary. Unless it settles really well and I don't have too.
heres the recipe rick. I used canned pumpkin which is why I think I got cloudiness from it.
Depending how it smells when I move it to the secondary I may add more spices in a tea ball.
9 lbs. Domestic 2-Row
8 oz. Carapils,
8 oz. Caramel 10L,
15 oz. pumpkin
1 oz. of mt hood bittering hops,
1 oz. of cascade aroma hops,
1 cup brown sugar,
2tsp. cinnamon,
2tsp. nutmeg,
S-04 yeast

Good luck with the brew, It should clear just fine :thumb:

I fancy a go at a pumpkin brew myself, I saw a recipe with spices before xmas that used pacific gem hops, but no pumpkin, :hmm: I may combine the two recipes.

UP

gurtpint said:
Pumpkins... They are not really a staple in the Finish kitchen but I've been wondering if one could use some rhubarb in beer. Anyone tried it?

Possible but It will be very very tart,& you would probably have to adust the PH with powdered chalk or similar, rhubarb is very acidic.

UP

unclepumble said:
gurtpint said:
Pumpkins... They are not really a staple in the Finish kitchen but I've been wondering if one could use some rhubarb in beer. Anyone tried it?

Possible but It will be very very tart,& you would probably have to adust the PH with powdered chalk or similar, rhubarb is very acidic.

UP

Cheers unca!

Somebody, Ruddles I think, did one with rhubarb commercially, it was odd but not unpleasant to my palate.

A brewery near me is doing stilton in a brew. :shock: I've not tried it.

Cheese in a brew? Huh. I've been looking at bacon beer recipes.. :drink:
Rhubarb would need ph balancing but could be tasty espescialy paired with a fruit of soe sort. My mom used it in fruit cobblers when I was growing up and I loved it. My list of beers to make is getting huge. :rofl: Awesome

gurtpint said:

Rhubarb? :shock: Rumour here in Denmark has it that you lot up there drink birch tree sap to accompany Amanita muscaria, which is why you dash about starkers in the snow and beat each other up with twigs :grin:

Alan Robinson said:
gurtpint said:

Rhubarb? :shock: Rumour here in Denmark has it that you lot up there drink birch tree sap to accompany Amanita muscaria, which is why you dash about starkers in the snow and beat each other up with twigs :grin:

Add to those getting legless and topping yourself and you have a pretty comprehensive list of the traditional favorite Finnish pastimes!

Here's what she looks like right after I racked it into secondary. Hopefully it settles more. I'll pry add Gellatin in a couple days if it doesn't.
DSCF2183.jpg

How did this get on? I'm planning mine for this weekend as I don't seem to be able to find ANY Pumpkin Ale in Edinburgh! Stewart's are apparently making one, but I can't find it for sale anywhere :wha:

Did you end up using canned pumpkin? I managed to find some at a store here in Edinburgh called Lupe Pintos. They import a lot of American and Mexican goods. I believe they have a store in Glasgow too if anyone is looking for ingredients for this recipe :)

Back