Pseudo lager yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulus

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've had a few problems with stuck fermentations using kits and I believe it is because of my keeping the yeast attached to the kit in the house until I ferment it.
I live in a hot climate (40C) in summer so the fault is mine. I have 2 kits left, a Cooper's Mexican and a Muntons Bock.
These ferment at about 20C so I would like to use a reliable yeast for what is essentially a pseudo lager.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Agree on Kveik yeast.

Had some good results with Ubbe and Voss fermenting in the 30s bonus is they are done in days.

The way I read the OP - 40c is the storage temperature of the yeast and temperature control is available for the brew. Could use M54 or even US05.

The bock will likely need more than 1 packet check a pitch rate calculator.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
My question is really, what yeast would you recommend for these pseudo lager kits, to replace the original yeast packs (which I did not put in the fridge and have been left at high temps in storage).
In future I will be putting the yeast in the fridge when I get it.
Does Nottingham produce a good taste in a lager? My fermentation temperature control is good so no problem with that.
Thanks.

Hi all,
I've had a few problems with stuck fermentations using kits and I believe it is because of my keeping the yeast attached to the kit in the house until I ferment it.
I live in a hot climate (40C) in summer so the fault is mine. I have 2 kits left, a Cooper's Mexican and a Muntons Bock.
These ferment at about 20C so I would like to use a reliable yeast for what is essentially a pseudo lager.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Is this LalBrew novalager terratory?

If you've got fermentation control why not use a proper lager yeast like W34/70, Lalbrew Diamond, or M76?

For lagers fermented warmer M54 Californian Lager is good, and Lalbrew Novalager is getting good reviews. MJ sell repacked Novalager as M24 Versa, a bit cheaper.

Last edited:
If you've got fermentation control why not use a proper lager yeast like W34/70, Lalbrew Diamond, or M76?

For lagers fermented warmer M54 Californian Lager is good, and Lalbrew Novalager is getting good reviews. MJ sell repacked Novalager as M24 Versa, a bit cheaper.
I used a SafLager 34/70 with a Simply lager kit. I have done the Simply before using the pack yeast and it got stuck. I did taste what I had and it was a much fuller flavour than I got with the SafLager. I think the kits are designed to get more taste out using ale yeasts (hence the 20-22C fermentation range).
This is just my opinion from 1 experience.

That's interesting.. Does it matter?
I just think that the kits rely more on an Ale fermentation, lower attenuation and maybe more pronounced hop flavours. A pseudo lager using a less well built up malt and hop brew relying more on unfermented sugars?
An all grain would be designed to be a lager from the start with the right malts and hops?
Just my take on it. As I wrote earlier a Simply lager I did recently with 1kg DME and a light hop tea (15g saaz) with a diamond yeast comes out with a lot less taste than an earlier I did using just the kit, beer enhancer and kit yeast (although it did stall).

Ale yeasts create a fuller flavour than lager yeasts, generally speaking. If you prefer that, use an ale yeast. I rarely drink lagers myself. A lager fermented with an ale yeast at room temperature is not technically a lager.

But is quite nice!
Absolutely! You're really in blonde/summer ale territory I guess, and I'd take that ahead of lager every time, personally. I once bought a Wilko Cerveza kit and dry hopped with Citra and it was great.

Back