Project mash tun [HELP]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd probably drill it out to 15mm so that the copper pipe can pass straight through. . . .You need someone with a pillar drill and a 15mm blacksmiths drill though . . . . and lots of cutting oil

I got the drill bits out yesterday, then looked at the thickness of the SS and changed my mind LOL. I think I will try some of Vosseys silicone tube, if he has any left. And if that doesn't work I'll find someone with a pillar drill.

Whats the inside dimension of the hole inside the vessel you may be able to buy a copper reducer then you could secure it with some jb weld then simply push fit your grain filter onto it

Does anyone have any idea how I can fit 15mm copper pipe to the insides of this. Basically I need something that will fit tightly inside a 15mm pipe and seal, that I can then fit my pick up and strainer to
Thinking again about this V, if a 15mm copper pipe will fit inside the rear of the tap fitting quite snugly (it doesn't have to be a tighter fit than 1-2mm either side) then the grain will form a natural barrier/filter once settled, so all you have to do is ensure the manifold/pipe can't move backwards more then the amount of the pipe inside the fitting.....

does that make sense :hmm:

I won't fit inside, that I would have been happy with. It's like pushing two 15mm copper pipe ends together, and hoping if you push hard enough they will join...

Make a few slits in the end of the pipe which will allow the pipe to compress then it will be 'persuaded' to fit in the back of the tap from the inside :whistle:

31bb3 said:
Whats the inside dimension of the hole inside the vessel you may be able to buy a copper reducer then you could secure it with some jb weld then simply push fit your grain filter onto it

As far as I can tell, it's very awkward to measure, but buy doing a "rubbing" of the hole with some paper, the same size as 15mm copper pipe. Whatever I use has to fit on the INSIDE of a approx 15mm pipe (pretty sure it won't be EXACTLY 15mm, as the "tun" pre-dates metric ;) ) and that is where my problem is, plumb fittings go in the outside of the pipe, not the inside. Hope this makes sense, I've consumed a few pints of Thornbridge Raven :drink:

Aleman said:
Make a few slits in the end of the pipe which will allow the pipe to compress then it will be 'persuaded' to fit in the back of the tap from the inside :whistle:

:rofl: First thing I tried. Hacksaw + lump hammer + tun = knackered piece of pipe + swearing. The bore of the "modified pipe was also reduced to a few mills, and if I did manage to get it to fit, I don't think it would have worked :(

Sean_Mc said:
How about a 15mm to 12 or 10mm reducer :hmm:

Managed to get a 10mm reducer yesterday, and it fits quiet loosely, it will need soldering in to get out water tight so I can get the syphon effect. The only difficulty is going to be getting the blow torch inside the tun, it's quite tight. Thanks. Sean I think you're solved it. :D

The real difficulty is going to be soldering the copper or brass reducer into stainless steel, without an aggressive flux is isn't going to happen.

I'd nip down to a local metal fabricator, and get them to drill the fitting out to 15mm for you, It'll cost you less than a couple of pints in the pub, and do the job properly ;)

@Aleman

Ah, never knew that would be a problem. The problems goig to be eithe finding one near who is open on the weekend. Or somehow getting it there whilst I am at work hmmm...

Latest posts

Back