Project mash tun [HELP]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vindiv8

Reaction score
The Missus very kindly arrived with this yesterday:
2011-01-02_17-43-20_336.jpg

She has spotted something that looks like it will make a fantastic mash tun. The size of the opening is'nt ideal, but I can work round it. The main thing is it is well insulated.

2011-01-02_17-43-34_726.jpg

The plan was to remove the tap, fit a ball valve and make a pick up out of copper pipe. But the internal diameter of the inside of the tap fitting is exactly the same as 15mm copper pipe.

2011-01-02_17-44-11_738.jpg
2011-01-02_17-44-30_85.jpg

tap connection on the outside

Does anyone have any idea how I can fit 15mm copper pipe to the insides of this. Basically I need something that will fit tightly inside a 15mm pipe and seal, that I can then fit my pick up and strainer to.

I really don't fancy drilling more holes in this, and I need a cheap solution, coupled with project boiler and project wort chiller, project AG brewery is getting close to budget :shock:

it looks very similar to my tun

DSCF1017.jpg

Fitted a ball valve to mine using the existing thread and a little ptfe tape

I use a false bottom made from a picnic plastic plate

I haven't checked the tap yet, but I agree I think the ball valve will go straight on, its, the internal gubbins thats the problem, the tap is 3cm from the bottom of the vessel, so I would need to drop a pipe down, otherwise my loss would be horrendous :(

That looks great! I see you have used a hose connector for the pipe, how is that attached, the inside of my vessel is flush with the sides, and that is the problem I am having. I cannot see a way to connect any type of piping to the tap.

Hi Vindiv8,

I think the reason your pictures aren't showing above is because there's something missing of the end of the photo code from picasaweb.
You need to use the direct link between

or just copy the IMG code 'as is' :thumb:

Hope that helps

V

Sorry V, pic is from Daabs site.

I can fit 15mm pipe in mine with the old tap taken out, then just use some ptfe tape on the outside of the pipe to get a snug syphon affect

@ Vossey1 Yeah I tried allsorts, direct link
not direct link, but pics wouldn't show, so I posted the link as well. Just tryed a different way on one of the direct links, no joy.

@sean_mc, that's my problem, 15mm pipe won't fit, the bore of the tap is the same as 15mm piping

IMG and /IMG in capitals for me works better sometimes :wha:

Vin got any clear tubing knocking about, just a thought :hmm:

Hmmm either it's repaired it's self or a kindly mod has monkeyed with the tags. Now all I need is a solution to my pipes and i am away :D

evanvine said:
I think you will will find that the silicon tubing that "vossy" sells is very universal, both in stretching and contracting.
Just a thought for your connection problems.

If it will fit inside a 15mm copper pipe and seal, then I think it will work, Vossy?

Does anyone have any idea how I can fit 15mm copper pipe to the insides of this. Basically I need something that will fit tightly inside a 15mm pipe and seal, that I can then fit my pick up and strainer to.

You could use a compression coupler, like this
Put a seal between coupler and the back of the tap if needed :thumb:
Your local B&Q or plumbers merchants should have them ;)

Vossy1 said:

You could use a compression coupler, like this
Put a seal between coupler and the back of the tap if needed :thumb:
Your local B&Q or plumbers merchants should have them ;)

Sorry can't see how that will work, there is nothing for it to attach to on the inside, the pipe is flush with the inside of the vessel, you can't remove the current tap connection, it's welded in. What ever I use needs to fit inside 15mm pipe, not outside. Something like tight fitting silicone hose may well do the trick, unless someone else can see a better solution.

No, that's the outside, with the tap removed, I wish it was that simple. The blurred shot and the one from the top shows the inside. The silicone hose idea might have legs, probably going to get a meter off ebay to try, can't think of another way.

Latest posts

Back