Problem with Brewzilla extensions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecool

Reaction score
I have a Brewzilla G4 35L and have bought two 12L extensions (manufacturer said 2 is fine, and that appears to be the case). The problem is the extended mash pipe I got as well.

The extended pipe is, I think, designed for the G3 model and hasn't been updated. It isn't actually much bigger than the normal one, and not as much of an extension as even one 12L extension. Perhaps an even bigger problem, and I assume because of the G3 design, is that it only has perforations on the bottom face, whereas the G4 standard pipe has additional holes going up a few centimetres on the sides. I'm finding it very difficult to scale recipes up. The mashing and sparging is getting very clogged - circulation in the mashing phase isn't really working and sparging takes forever and requires a lot of working to get any drainage. So I can't up the mash size as much, especially for high abv beer, and so the extensions are underutilised for the boil.

Apart from doing a double mash which would take longer, I'm not sure what I could do to improve the situation. I wondered if anyone else has had similar problems and come up with a solution.

I have a Brewzilla G4 35L and have bought two 12L extensions (manufacturer said 2 is fine, and that appears to be the case). The problem is the extended mash pipe I got as well.

The extended pipe is, I think, designed for the G3 model and hasn't been updated. It isn't actually much bigger than the normal one, and not as much of an extension as even one 12L extension. Perhaps an even bigger problem, and I assume because of the G3 design, is that it only has perforations on the bottom face, whereas the G4 standard pipe has additional holes going up a few centimetres on the sides. I'm finding it very difficult to scale recipes up. The mashing and sparging is getting very clogged - circulation in the mashing phase isn't really working and sparging takes forever and requires a lot of working to get any drainage. So I can't up the mash size as much, especially for high abv beer, and so the extensions are underutilised for the boil.

Apart from doing a double mash which would take longer, I'm not sure what I could do to improve the situation. I wondered if anyone else has had similar problems and come up with a solution.
They are trying to knock the Brewzilla G4 out dirt cheap over here at the moment. They are either admitting that it is **** or trying to raise money for their court case.

I feel your pain.
I have the same problem from a different manufacturer to the point where I am seriously considering reverting to BIAB on my old kit.

You could try https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/rice-hulls.102562/

And/or look at medium crushed malt rather than fine crush.
Thanks for the link. Interesting. I use medium crush at the moment. I guess the rice-hulls will help with the flow but the capacity issue is going to still be a headache.

I was wondering about using a grain bag instead of the mash pipe. Don't know if that could work ok.
They are trying to knock the Brewzilla G4 out dirt cheap over here at the moment. They are either admitting that it is **** or trying to raise money for their court case.
Apart from this issue of mash pipe with the extension I've been very happy with the G4. It just seems to me the extensions have been ill thought through.

Then put the false bottom in & go BIAB.

Also if you were using your extensions & the grain pipe, wouldn't you the need a ladder to get to the top?
I guess the pump is rated to push the wort that high too.

If the system is low down it's not too bad getting to the top.

I found a couple of reddit threads about using bags in brewzillas and a fair number of people have done. The only issues I can think of are:

1) Getting a bag long enough to make use to the shape - a lot of bags seem to assume a wider, less deep kettle
2) Having a long enough spoon. I was struggling with the metal paddle that came with it to reach the bottom of the extended pipe, and I'm hoping to go deeper with the bag
3) Working out the best sparge technique

Just had the first go using a bag in the brewzilla. Worked very well. I used this bag from the MM, which I think is 80cm long. It is just enough to fully utilise one extension in the mash, but required tying with string because it was on the limit. The bag was actually a lot easier to use that the supplied malt pipe. Flow was not a problem at all.

To have a really easy time I could do with a bag that is quite a bit longer (maybe another 50cm). If anyone has any recommendations I'd be most grateful. I lot of the grain bags seem wider but not as long.

The sparge was a bit poor, I just dunked it in a bucket of the sparge water. But I guess I can easily improve upon that.

To have a really easy time I could do with a bag that is quite a bit longer (maybe another 50cm). If anyone has any recommendations I'd be most grateful. I lot of the grain bags seem wider but not as long
I also find the malt pipe is a pain in the backside compared to my previous (& still used) BIAB boiler.

If you or someone you know can sew, then you could knock up a custom size bag from net curtain material.

Yeah, I've had a bit more of a look and can't find a bag big enough, so sewing looks like the way to go.

The BZ 4, tall and narrow profile (even before extending), is more prone to grain bed compaction, than a short wide profile.

To avoid bed compaction causing a stuck mash / slow recirculation, I now only ever, stir gently surface grain at dough in. To break up dough balls, without knocking trapped air off grains (more buoyant grains gives an open bed). 20min rest before starting recirculation.
Never stir again, so I don't need a long spoon.

I've one 12l extension, used for theboccasional boil, but mostly to stop splashing during aeration using a drill whisk (for 19% ABV Award stout).

An alternative way of scaling up is to go partial mash, replacing part of the base malt with Malt extract. I use 3kg of LME (from TMM) in my Award stout (direct to fermenter). I tweek amount of other base grains, in Brewfather app, so I use up the full 3kg LME.

I did consider doing a reiterated mash, two batches of grain on the same wort. But there's reduced extraction efficiency, from reduced first sparge volume, and higher sugar levels during second batch.

Last edited:
Back