Priming Disaster

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobingtonsmyth

Reaction score
Righto, had a bit of a disaster. Went to draw out my first pint of Stout from my keg and it's as flat as pancake. I don't know whats gone wrong, the obvious answer is that I forgot to put my priming sugar into it when I transferred the liquid from my FV to the keg (But that would be a real admission of stupidity so I can't have been that)

Anyhow I am absolutely gutted as the Stout itself tastes pretty darn good, so is there anyway I can rescue this? I obviously don't have much time to act as when I poured the beer I could hear air glugging into the barrel from the tap.

Help, I don't want to lose the stout and I really can't drink it all myself in the space of a few days....

OK thanks for that, given that I'm exploring all angles here. Say the beer primed properly but my problem was due to a loss of pressure in the barrel, would attempting to reprime the beer help? Or make things worse?

That's obviously presuming I can prevent the leak from re-occuring. From sitting next the the barrel I can hear a very slight hiss from the lid, closer examination suggests it's not coming from the release valve or the bung but from underneath the lip of the cap as it were.

Can I re-prime, re-cap the barrel having whacked some vaseline on the threads and seal of the cap? Or is this batch of beer lost to the gods?

Back