Pressure Valve

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robm1955

Reaction score
It's that time of year again, and yet again, I'm having problems with my pressure valve, which worked perfectly last year. I put vaseline round the main seals, as someone suggested. I released some of the air from the barrel, as the tap was dripping, and in a previous thread, it was suggested that there could be too much pressure built up. The dripping has stopped, but the beer, although it tastes alright, is flat. I tried putting some CO2 into it, that's when it failed, so no gas went into the beer. Can these valves be maintained/stripped down in any way? It's going to cost a lot of money, if I keep having to replace the valves. Or perhaps there's a different barrel with a valve I could buy. I'm open to suggestions, as I really like home brew, when it turns out ok.

They are fairly simple devices with rubber sleeves. Check the rubber hasn't stuck to the brass bit. Or hasn't hardened. You can get spare rubber sleeves.

Thanks for that. I wasn't sure if these things could be replaced. The old valve cap I had, could probably rescued. It never actually touched any liquid, but the brass valve has become discoloured. Perhaps I could clean this up, and replace the seals. Are these easy to find?

You should be able to get them from a decent HB shop. Maybe someone else has a link? I haven't used one in years so not had the need to source any.

Back