Pressure fermenting Baltic Porter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega

Reaction score
I will put Mangrove Jack’s Craft Series Baltic Porter today. I will use Apollo 30ltr Snub Nose Pressure Fermenter. Can I do porter under pressure, or I should do it without a pressure?
I will put it for now without a pressure, hope someone replies by then and I can tweak the process if necessary
Thanks a lot

Do you havw temperature control? Which yeast does the kit come with?
No, I don’t have temperature control, it is in my room, the temperature is around 21 Celsius. The yeast is Mangrove Jack’s Californian Lager Yeast 412801, no idea what it means

Attachments

• IMG_0641.jpeg
    IMG_0641.jpeg
    63.8 KB
That's a lager yeast that ferments at ale temperatures. No harm in pressure fermenting with it, especially if you don't have any temp control.

Can I do porter under pressure, or I should do it without a pressure?
You can do anything you like. A better question is - why would you want to ferment a porter under pressure?

The normal reason for fermenting under pressure is to reduce esters and other flavour compounds, whereas normally one would want those things to be present in a porter.

But it's your beer, you do what you want with it.

You can do anything you like. A better question is - why would you want to ferment a porter under pressure?

The normal reason for fermenting under pressure is to reduce esters and other flavour compounds, whereas normally one would want those things to be present in a porter.

But it's your beer, you do what you want with it.
Thanks. that’s the question I had - if I should pressure ferment it or not?
Will keep pressure release valve open so that it doesn’t build up the pressure

Except it's a Baltic Porter, traditionally brewed and lagered at low temperature. Some would argue that warm ale esters aren't appropriate. The emphasis is on the roasted malts and hops.

Mangrove Jack's tasting notes for this kit state - A full-bodied porter with rich roasted flavours that leaves a satisfying warm and malty sweetness on the palate. Rich and complex roasted malt aroma with spicy, earthy hop aromatics. Pours black with a tan head.

Back