Pressure barrel caps....how tight?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skippy

Reaction score
All,

First couple of brews I barreled were fine but the last few I've done, they were not holding pressure.Initially this was not a problem as I was just injecting more CO2.

The last lot I've made I discovered pressure leaking from the cap.

I alway grease the O ring etc but what I have discovered is when I tighten the cap the O ring is crimping.
I must admit I do try and tighten as hard as I can so I think this is causing the problem.
I have replaced the O ring for my next batch...but my question is:-
Is there a 'rule of thumb' of how much you tighten the pressure barrel cap?
Cheers,

Don't forget to grease the cap threads as well as the O ring.

I tighten it as tight as I possibly can, and then a bit more. And I'm quite strong. It's an absolute b*gger to get off afterwards. You may have to change the O ring quite frequently? I don't know.

in most applications an ''o ring'' or rubber seal should not need much pressure for it to seal,
just enough to slightly deform it to a shape to fill the gaps..

with my k/k i just hand tighten, with a small amount of Vaseline on the lip of the keg.

If you remove and grease the O ring, it should only need to be hand tight, too much tightening and the O ring will buckle causing a gas leak.
So don't use the oil fiter chain on it, hand -> firm tightness is all that is needed.
You can check by injecting a bit of gas and spraying a solution of washing up liquid & water to look for bubbles.
Most of my leaks are on top not the gas seal. I bought a new top for my Beersphere and could not get it to seal. Had to remove all the fittings and grease them before it worked.

skippy said:
I must admit I do try and tighten as hard as I can

That's definitely your problem.
I use the youngs budget kegs, I just use my thumb and forefinger to tighten the lid until it meets resistance and then just give it a very slight further turn, works every time :thumb:
:cheers:

eggman said:
skippy said:
I must admit I do try and tighten as hard as I can

That's definitely your problem.
I use the youngs budget kegs, I just use my thumb and forefinger to tighten the lid until it meets resistance and then just give it a very slight further turn, works every time :thumb:

this. :cheers:

eggman said:
I just use my thumb and forefinger to tighten the lid until it meets resistance and then just give it a very slight further turn, works every time :thumb:

Ah - thanks for that. I find the tap leaks first anyway, before anything else goes.

Reading up on most pressure barrels they nearly all say and advise you to change seals every 4 to 5 brew's regardless pluss seal kits ar'nt expensive just to be sure..

FV 1 & 2, empty :cry: (ran out of steraliser excuse)
K/Keg 1, conditioning, Wilko's hoppy copper bitter with dark malt added :pray:
K/Keg 2, empty :sulk:
Bottles, conditioning Honey ale :pray:
Bottles, Drinking Woodforde Wherry :drink:
Demijons empty :whistle:

Yeah I've read that somewhere before too but personally I think that's a bit excessive. Most of my barrels are 2 years old and have all had at least 15 brews in them and they're only just starting to play up

Hi please don't use grease :lol: Vaseline or KY jelly are better! (oh ere Mrs)!

I'm using O-ring silicone lubricant that is used in scuba diving and underwater photo housing o-rings (only cos I forgot to buy some vaseline :nah: ), it's much more sticky and a higher quality than vaseline and you only need a small amount, I'm about to order the food grade version of this, it's as cheap as chips:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicone-...202?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25798731d2

or this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saeco-Sil...pt=Coffee_Machines_Makers&hash=item460da20847

By lubing your ring :shock: you won't need to tighten the lid too much.

PS In diving the o-rings are completely covered in a very thin layer to prevent drying out and ensure watertight seals (100bar pressure), the 0-rings also last a very long time.

Latest posts

Back