Porridge Jim but not as we know it.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK so the clocks have gone back. Lettuce is no longer a recognised are a breakfast option. So we need something quick, warm and thick.

Enter porridge... But Erm.. Can we do better than milk and sugar.

I have started with a porridge with water (no milk) and a teaspoon of stock. Which if you like savoury is rather good.

Anyone hot any more savoury ideas or recipes? Chilli, peanut butter, marmite, garlic ?

I sometimes add powdered turmeric (not too much), cinnamon, a bit of chili powder, ginger powder and some black pepper for indeed a savoury porridge in the morning.

I also like to make it with half water, half vanilla soy milk.

Always add a bit of salt at cooking time!

I went through a phase of making savoury porridge a while back. The one I made has middle eastern vibes.

You make the porridge with chicken stock and add in za'atar and chilli powder or shatta (chilli paste), then once cooked stir in a good handful of parsley and juice of half a lemon. Then top with fresh tomatoes, feta and a fried egg and a bit more za'atar and parsley on top.

Just thinking on the spot here but you could try a kedgeree type thing but using oats instead of rice. Garlic, onion, curry spices and peas in the oats, smoked haddock mixed in and a boiled egg on top.

These past few weeks my new breakfast go to is baked oats. I have only done sweet versions but I don't see why you couldn't do it savoury (I might try it actually!). Here's the sweet recipe (I add some protein powder too):

Ingredients​

• 60 g Mixed berries Use fresh or frozen
  • 1 Egg
  • 40 g Rolled oats
  • 50 ml Milk Whole, semi-skimmed or dairy free
  • 1 tsp Runny honey
  • .25 tsp Baking powder
  • Half scoop vanilla protein powder

To serve:​

• Spoonful of yoghurt
  • A few berries
  • Drizzle of honey
Put It into ramekins and into the air fryer for 10-12 minutes. It sets into a kind of muffin. There's no saying you couldn't switch out the honey and berries for savoury alternatives. Chilli jam and cheddar? Mackerel and tomato? Chorizo and halloumi? Bacon and brie?

Sky's the limit I guess

Back