plastic re-seals

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garylewis1966

Reaction score
Anyone used plastic re-seals instead of metal caps for bottling lager during secondary fermentation? About 10 out of 40 popped off over the first few days of bottling. This might have occurred due to over-carbonation because I mistakenly adding a tsp sugar to each bottle and not half, or could be because the re-seals are generally unreliable. Some of the bottles were left over night uncapped so I might have flat lager :( Anyone with an opinion on this please? :hmm:

Gary

Bottled: Young's lager with double malt (1st batch)
Next batch: Cooper's Wheat Beer

Hi Gary, 1/2 a tsp for priming is the usual for ales, 1tsp for lagers is probably about right.
I wouldn't use the plastic seals on any highly carbonated beer for fear of them failing, they're really only suitable for more lightly carbonated drinks IME. Use metal caps, they won't let you down :thumb:

I agree with Vossy. I wouldn't trust these for sealing anything that had much carbonation going on. I use them to reseal bottles once I have washed them so that all I need to do is squirt a bit of starsan solution in them just before refilling with the next brew.

Thanx for replies. I had taken the cheaper option on someone's recommendation but appreciate the need for caps that work.

Used them once, got zero carbonation. Guess they just don't fit Wychwood bottles too well.

Cheers oldbloke. Suppose I was being tight but will have to invest in a capper to avoid a disappointing end product.

I posted this on The Online Homebrew Forum as well and haven't had any replies. Are you a member of both? Just ordered two kits from Online Homebrew - good prices at mo

No, not a member of that forum.
Few people here will be...
See the posts about new rules on comments about retailers, and the threads that led to that rule.

Thanx for pointing this out oldbloke, though have since read that this is in relation to negative comments. Don't understand why you think not many member will be a member of the other forum I mentioned. It'll help if you could explain. Cheers

Back