Plastic Bottles....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darylt

Reaction score
I have been looking at getting some bottles. I have a load of glass but need alot more....

I know that Plastic bottles look and feel different, but will the taste be any different?

Is it "wrong" to use plastic....?

They are perfectly usable as long as they have had a fizzy drink in them ie they are designed to with stand pressure.

They have two drawbacks though, firstly they are usually 2l so it means that when you fill a glass you will disturb the sediment, so when you refil your glass you will get cloudy beer, you will also have to drink all the contents in one session as it will go flat once opened. Secondly plastic PET bottles are permeable to gas so eventually you will lose pressure so they are no god for long term storage.

:cheers:

AG

Nothing wrong with using plastic bottles for beer :thumb:
No effect on taste ;)
They are of course O2 permeable so don't try to use them for long term storage of Old Ales or Imperial Stouts etc ;)

My beer doesn't tend to hand around for too long anyway....

In your experience, how long would they be OK for? A few weeks, a month, a couple of months?

Ive used pet 2 litre coke and fizzy drinks bottles since i started brewing they are good for the job but i find that if i open a 2 litre bottle of beer and then dont drink it all it tends to go a bit flat and loses its head the next time i get it out the fridge :D

31bb3 said:
I bought 24 plastic coopers hb bottles from my local hbs cost £10.50

Sounds like same bottles I got. Thought they might be a good bottle to post or give out once I pluck up the courage to ask for comments on my brews.

They seem to be pretty good, but can't figure why the tops are promoted as tamper proof :wha: do they think my mrs will pinch a few drops :hmm: come to think :lol:

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying more.

I'm using the one litre plastics from the home brew shop. Seem to be up to the job.
Only thing is they're clear so have had to cover them over in the shed to stop any light getting to them.
Gonna buy another 24 soon.

Hi Daryl.
I use recycled 1litre plastic fizzy juice bottles. They dont have any effect on the taste but when pouring the sediment does get disturbed so i find it best to pour in one go which means using a BIG glass. I use a 1L stien and it weighs a ton when full. :D

stevander74 said:
Hi Daryl.
I use recycled 1litre plastic fizzy juice bottles. They dont have any effect on the taste but when pouring the sediment does get disturbed so i find it best to pour in one go which means using a BIG glass. I use a 1L stien and it weighs a ton when full. :D

i use plastic bottles,
i store them up side down [in boxes/crates]...... and the sediment will settle into the lid, :thumb:
crack them open upside down over a sink and the loose gunk is flushed out, leaving most of it as a solid in the cap... :D
take the cap off wash then pop the bottle in the fridge to chill,
then drink perfectly clear yeast free beer.... :party:

artyb said:
stevander74 said:
Hi Daryl.

i use plastic bottles,
i store them up side down [in boxes/crates]...... and the sediment will settle into the lid, :thumb:
crack them open upside down over a sink and the loose gunk is flushed out, leaving most of it as a solid in the cap... :D
take the cap off wash then pop the bottle in the fridge to chill,
then drink perfectly clear yeast free beer.... :party:

Now that is a sweet idea. I'll be trying this next time :-)

Asda do flavoured water in 1L bottles 3 for a quid, just pour the stuff down the drain and use the bottles

Sorry to revive an old thread, but when folks use new 2l fizzy water PET bottles, do you sanitise them or just tip the contents and fill with cider/beer/whatever straight away?

Latest posts

Back