Plans for 3rd brew. It's all from your advice.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antonylj

Reaction score
Hi all.

2nd brew finished after a total of 6 weeks, rushed admittedly but the fermentation finished in 3 days!!!!

Going from advice from everyone on here, I'm excited to get started on brew 3 using some advice from everyone on this forum.

I have a new fermenting bucket, with a tap, the tap draws from the top, hopefully so as not to disturb any settlement.
Once fermentation is complete, I aim to leave the brew for 6 weeks, undisturbed.

Now for the hops.

They're only supposed to be in there for 2 to 3 days before bottling.

How do I allow TIME for any sediment to settle in this case?

Hi all.

2nd brew finished after a total of 6 weeks, rushed admittedly but the fermentation finished in 3 days!!!!

Going from advice from everyone on here, I'm excited to get started on brew 3 using some advice from everyone on this forum.

I have a new fermenting bucket, with a tap, the tap draws from the top, hopefully so as not to disturb any settlement.
Once fermentation is complete, I aim to leave the brew for 6 weeks, undisturbed.

Now for the hops.

They're only supposed to be in there for 2 to 3 days before bottling.

How do I allow TIME for any sediment to settle in this case?
You wait until the primary fermentation has finished, then add your hops, then after 2 or 3 days move your FV into the coldest place you have for 2 more days. By then the beer should be quite clear, and the hops should have mostly dropped. But if you don't want to be naffed with hop bits, put your hops into a nylon bag with or without weights like SS spoons.

Thanks Terry, Think I just had it in my head that after 2 to 3 days of adding hops it HAD to be bottled.

Cold place after hops it is. And a nylon bag.

And a nylon bag.

Somewhere here I read a tip about Sainsbury's selling reusable nylon bags on the fruit and veg section (instead of the plastic ones), so I picked up a couple at 30p. Coincidentally, I'm also on my 3rd brew and I intend to use them for dry hopping, sanitising them first.

Back