Pinters with own wort

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There were a few threads a couple of years ago if you wanted to search, but I haven't seen anything about them for a while.
Maybe those who were experimenting back then could help out. Was it just too much hassle?

I've done it. Was handy to ferment and serve a 5l ish batch.

you need to be mindful of how much wort you put in, there is a fill line but you can put in extra to account for how much the docking station holds.

I've also used them as secondary / serving vessels, like minikeg. Again, handy but be mindful of how much you full it.

Using the carb dial between sessions you can make it last a weekends worth of drinking.

I've now stopped using them as i dont really have the space and I like the flexibility of bottling. I only brew 6l batches and can hold 36 bottles, so 3 batches on the go.

My own original Pinter sprung a leak, presumably due to pressure and an eBay Pinter wasn't very clean... I think liquid can get through the vents and into the void between outer case and inner vessel.

I love the principle, if I had (fridge) space and more mates round for drinking nights I'd still consider using them.

Mash I think I have just watched a Youtube vid by the Brew Dudes who have done this.
This is their latest post so up to date

Yes, I've done this in a few different ways but ultimately I dont think it's worth it, and a 10l corny with a spunding valve and a party tap does a much more satisfactory job in my experience. These are the ways I've done it, if you're interested:

- Brewed a 5l batch of all grain beer on the stovetop, chilled in the sink and fermented and served from the pinter. It was a Sierra Nevada type beer, and there was no dry hop.
- Brewed a 20l batch of stout, fermented it in a bucket, bottled c15l and put c5l into the pinter with a little sugar for conditioning only (so didnt need the docking station). This worked well, but was running out of gas by the end.
- Brewed a 23l batch of all grain beer in the all in one, then took a "no chill" approach and pumped it out into 4 x 5l plastic "jerry cans" whilst still at ~90c. With the heat expansion each container takes a Iittle more than 5l (which suits the pinter) then I fermented and served 2 of these using the pinter. Worked fine, but I've not come up with a good approach for dry hopping. The remaining two containers I ended up fermenting under pressure in a 12l corny, and I was able to dry hop more easily and also serve at good pressure right to the end.

The Pinter 3 tap is a big improvement over the others, so if you were looking to pick one up, i'd look for one with the P3 tap (they fit both pinter 2 and pinter 3).

If you wanted to borrow one, more than happy to let you use mine.

Cheers!

10 pint extract kits, would be handy if they were coming soon as they would fit perfectly in a Pinter 🤫😉

Or brew a slightly larger than normal Corny keg amount and fill the Pinter with the excess as well as the FV.
Saves on bottling the extra excess

Latest posts

Back