Peach Sparkling Wine - yeast issues?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKench

Reaction score
Hello all,

Made a 1-gallon tester batch of a sparkling peach wine recently. 4 litres of Welch's White Grape & Peach juice, 2 tins peaches (food processor to a pulp, boiled for 15 or so) and 400g sugar added to peach boil. Into a demijohn, cooled, and added half a sachet of Young's Champagne Yeast.

Primary ferment fine, racked it to another DJ after 2 weeks to remove some of the peach pulp. Fermented out after another week or so, added about 80g bottling sugar (as a syrup) and bottled.

A week later have had a little tester. Nowhere near as fizzy as I was hoping, and I am guessing this is because I lost a fair bit of yeast when I racked it. Taste is pretty much bang on where I wanted - dry without being ridiculous, and a bit of body and sweetness from the peach. With some extra fizz and carbonation it should be great.

My only issue is that it has a smell that can only be described as Yeasty. Not pleasant and something I'd like to eradicate. Can anyone think of a reason as to where this smell has come from? The only things I could think of would be that either it was a characteristic of the yeast (in which case I need an alternative!) or that I didn't let it ferment out fully...

I am thinking of putting on a second batch fairly soon, and I wondered if anyone had any top tips?

Thanks in advance!

Top tip - wait.

It's too early to judge the flavour and the carbonation. Beer takes 3-4 weeks to carbonate nicely, let alone wine which has a higher ABV and less to spur the yeast on.

Relax. :)

Cheers Rob - I had a feeling that might be the answer! I remember a while ago that someone mentioned to me that sparkling wines are best drunk young... I think I'll keep this one for a while and see what happens. Do you reckon time will help the yeasty smell too?

Yeah undoubtebly. It's what brewers call "green" - people can be bothered to wait for different levels of maturity, but you are probably looking at Acetaldehyde flavour, which resembles green apples. It also probably has a hot alcohol smell and taste at the moment, whereas a good matured wine will taste less of alcohol and more of fruit. Check here for some good info -

http://morebeer.com/content/homebrew-off-flavors

so yes, the flavour should wear off in time :)

Young, for wines, means 3-6 months. But if it's palatable, feel free to drink it - I like to keep a bottle or two behind with my batches and put it away for years to come.

Perfect! Time is the way forward.

Glancing at the recipe, anything you would alter for the next attempt?

Doing my first sparkling wine at the moment but have you used 80g sugar for a 1 gallon batch?

It seems a lot to me. I was going to bottle in beer bottles going for about 7g per bottle as I am going to try and disgorge it as well.

Yeah. I am beginning to think I might have overdone it.. we shall see when the garage starts exploding. Storing them out of the danger zone!

To get a really good sparkling wine I suggest you let ferment out for a week or two and then bottle using champagne bottles, with plastic cork and wire cage - there's plenty of documentation around on the process. It does provide a much better product, especially if left for many months.

klaus said:
To get a really good sparkling wine I suggest you let ferment out for a week or two and then bottle using champagne bottles, with plastic cork and wire cage - there's plenty of documentation around on the process. It does provide a much better product, especially if left for many months.

What's your priming rate? Does the yeast stay solid in the bottle or kick up when opened?

Latest posts

Back