Passion fruit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREBO75

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Anyone tried brewing anything with passion fruits (the ones that grow here that are mostly air, not the fancy foreign ones from supermarket)?

I could grab about 50 of them locally, not enough for a brew on their own cos they're mostly air, but enough to alter the flavour of a brew. Was thinking of maybe adding 20-30 to a simple OJ/WGJ WoW. What do you guys think, would this work, or be yuk, or would they be suited to something different?

Cheers

You should be a bit careful of them, the tasty bit is fine but unripe ones are poisonous, especially the skins, as are the leaves and flowers. Probably best to leave the skins out and don't eat the seeds in any quantity.

Probably better in something like ice cream but must be worth a try...

In the UK we can buy fruit juices from a producer called Rubicon. They make a fruit juice from passion fruit and personally I'd make a WOW type wine from that using WGJ rather than use fresh passion fruit.

If you were to use fresh fruit you will need to extract the juice from the fruit which will be difficult seeing as there are seeds enclosed in those funny little pods, and those seeds are going to be bitter. I'm not sure it would be worth the effort.

However, if you give it a go I'll be very interested in the results.

Latest posts

Back