Out of date golden ale kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjamin

Reaction score
Hello all found a beer kit a brought last year , went off dec2015 would I still be OK to use it if I got new yeast ?? Thanks

I would still use it. I was chatting to the owner of my local home brew shop recently and said that the manufacturer has to put a use by date on that is years before it will actually go off.

I would still use it. I was chatting to the owner of my local home brew shop recently and said that the manufacturer has to put a use by date on that is years before it will actually go off.

I was told the exact same thing.

Yeah I wouldn't use wine yeast, get a pack of US05 or Nottingham for a couple of quid in your lhbs or ebay if you don't have one.

is it LME or DME? i read somewhere that DME lasts longer than LME which is surprising to me, i would think a can is a better storage device than a plastic bag.

i made a batch a while ago from some 1 year old DME which had gone rock hard in the bag. it still worked ok but took a lot of boiling to melt the block of DME.

If it's tinned the tin will rot before the contents inside go off that's why preppers stock up on tinned food

It is a wilco's kit , two can kit will do next week I think , thanks for advise about not usin wine yeast .
I might use golden syrup and light malt what do u think ?

It is a wilco's kit , two can kit will do next week I think , thanks for advise about not usin wine yeast .
I might use golden syrup and light malt what do u think ?

If it's a "two can kit" using 2 x 1.5kg cans the chances are that you won't need any extra fermentables for a 23 litre brew.

Also, if it's an old Wheat Beer kit it will always be cloudy so be prepared for that as well. :thumb: :thumb:

Latest posts

Back