Oath of allegiance

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shocking lack of monarchists here.

In fairness, they are probably celebrating the coronation

I think there's a large amount of apathy towards the royalty but a real reluctance for an elected head of state (this would include me), fearful of a president johnson or something similiar.

It’s UK advertising and tourism boost on a global scale as no one does pomp and ceremony like we do. Not an accountant though so no idea what the ROI would be. Plus we have a rather messy mixed bag of triumph and epic fails in our history but this is all part of Great Britain’s identity regardless of whether we like it or not. I like that I get an extra brew day out of it acheers.

I think there's a large amount of apathy towards the royalty but a real reluctance for an elected head of state (this would include me), fearful of a president johnson or something similiar.
You need one of these
President_Higgins.width-728.jpg

I found the idea of an oath to the King rather too 16th century for my taste, at heart i am not a monarchist though i have to admit this country does the pomp & ceremonial rather well.
I did see a figure of it all costing £250 million quid. Maybe that is so, The sad thing is all those waving union jacks & holding street parties will wake up on tuesday more skint than they were with the cost of living & inflation still soaring & more people relying on food banks. In the 21st century i find that obscene.

Swearing an oath of allegiance to the king doesn't even make sense. It's pretty meaningless. Back in the day there were competing lords or whatever but it makes no difference to the ordinary people.

I think when most people in the UK mention a presidential system they keep thinking of France or the US.

You can, however, have a president with only ceremonial powers ( like the Republic of Ireland).

It's really weird that people assume that Blair or Boris would either run for president or get in.

I know it's quite a small sample group, but no members of the forum took the oath?

I know it's quite a small sample group, but no members of the forum took the oath?
I wouldn't be too surprised if people did take the oath, but don't want to admit it on the forum. There are some pretty extreme political views in the snug. I certainly wouldn't want to stick my head above the parapet. Or people may just want to keep their privacy.

Latest posts

Back