Oath of allegiance

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't be too surprised if people did take the oath, but don't want to admit it on the forum. There are some pretty extreme political views in the snug. I certainly wouldn't want to stick my head above the parapet. Or people may just want to keep their privacy.

I would be very surprised if no one here took the oath but understand why they would prefer not to admit it here.

I didn't watch yesterday as i was busy, i had no idea how you were supposed to take the oath, the BBC article explains -

This "homage of the people" replaces the traditional "homage of peers" where hereditary peers swear allegiance to the new monarch. Instead everyone in the Abbey and watching at home will be invited to pay homage in what Lambeth Palace described as a "chorus of millions".
The order of service will read: "All who so desire, in the Abbey, and elsewhere, say together: I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God."
It will be followed by the playing of a fanfare.

BBC News.

I wouldn't be too surprised if people did take the oath, but don't want to admit it on the forum. There are some pretty extreme political views in the snug. I certainly wouldn't want to stick my head above the parapet. Or people may just want to keep their privacy.
It would be a shame if members felt uncomfortable sharing an experience like taking an oath of allegiance to their head of state.

Not something I would understand, but would be interested in on an intellectual level.

I think when most people in the UK mention a presidential system they keep thinking of France or the US.

You can, however, have a president with only ceremonial powers ( like the Republic of Ireland).

It's really weird that people assume that Blair or Boris would either run for president or get in.

I know it's quite a small sample group, but no members of the forum took the oath?
The Irish model would be more likely, I reckon, given that the monarch's powers are strictly limited anyway. And at least an elected head of state would be more equitable and representative (possibly) than the antiquated birthright system we have now.
However, the fact that it's all tied up with the Anglican church would complicate it somewhat.

Did anyone watching niotice this?

Everything about this rings out as fake.
The main thing though, is that all the cameras up there (and everywhere throughout the abbey) were automated, not handheld. So the camera shake is completely out of place.

It's very easy to composite a figure into another shot if the camera is stationary, but hard if the camera moving, and even moreso if it's moving erratically (like handheld).

Therefore a good way of making a believable fake is to have a fixed camera (like they did at the coronation), "photoshop it" (like putting that figure in the background) and then digitally apply a camera shake to make it look like it's handheld (and thus give the illusion it would have been "hard" to fake). Derren Brown used the technique for one of his performances, I think the one where he predicted the lottery numbers, but may have been another thing.

Plus, the coronation will have probably been the most choreographed event in recent history. The chances of something looking like this at the coronation is vanishingly small

Last edited:
The wonderful 'Rest is History' podcast has done three special episodes on the history of coronations in Britain.

Did you know the first Coronation of a Christian King in Britain was done by an Irish man.
Or of the threesome with a king and a mother and daughter ( not his) at a Coronation.
And what exactly is Holy oil?

Worth a listen to all three episodes

Check out this Podcast: 327. Coronations: The Deep History 327. Coronations: The Deep History

It would be a shame if members felt uncomfortable sharing an experience like taking an oath of allegiance to their head of state.

Not something I would understand, but would be interested in on an intellectual level.
Might be interesting to open a poll, then. I think the votes are anonymous, or at least they're supposed to be.
Allegience to a head of state is incomprehensible to me. A head of state should be doing a job of work on behalf of the people who put him there to represent them. He or she owes Allegience to them, if anything. That's why a non-elected head of state is no different to a dictator and needs to be overthrown like any other tyrant.

Might be interesting to open a poll, then. I think the votes are anonymous, or at least they're supposed to be.
Allegience to a head of state is incomprehensible to me. A head of state should be doing a job of work on behalf of the people who put him there to represent them. He or she owes Allegience to them, if anything. That's why a non-elected head of state is no different to a dictator and needs to be overthrown like any other tyrant.
There's a difference (at least at a spiritual/simbolistic/cultural level) between a head of state and a monarch. At least in the UK, the monarch is "chosen by God"

There's a difference (at least at a spiritual/simbolistic/cultural level) between a head of state and a monarch. At least in the UK, the monarch is "chosen by God"
Who told you that? Was it God or was it an earlier monarch who claimed to be chosen by God?

God just told me that He did no such thing. "It's your mess" quoth He, "Grow up and stop being so jolly superstitious and grovelling" He added "Worked my fingers to the bone on the 5th day, creating worms and serpents etc and it's you guys who want to crawl on your bellies. Get a life, for Elvis' sake!"

God was born in Whitney Oxfordshire, on the night of the first full moon he was named the king, his first deed was to allow the blackwitch and the toothless hooker freedom of the town and allowed the term the dogs ******** to be used, hence forth all was golden even to this day, think i need to go to bed acheers.

I'm a great believer in the spiritual and symbolic aspects of ritual events, Gonzo. For example, the Glorious Morning Rising, which challenges even that of the Sun, where I drag myself from the Pit of Perdition and shower under the Waters of Wakefulness before girding my very loins against the rigours of the day. Naturally this includes anointing the gammy knees with Holy Oils from Jerusalem before ensuring that the family jewels are safely enshrined in the Pouch of Purity, which, itself is an integral part of the Boxers of Bravery, accessorised with the Vest of Valour. Cutting a very long story short, I finally strap on the Mighty Flip-flops of Fearlessness before striding out into an unsuspecting world to satisfy the cultural tradition of necking down a pint or three of breakfast Stella and a lardy cake. Yep. I'm a great believer in tradition! Long may it rain. What it is to be an Englishman!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back