Oat Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickthebrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
Quite a few oat stouts have been brewed lately and I am gonna brew one next week, some people do a glucan rest - is this absolutley nessercary? Also I have a kg of oat malt that I want to use - any one used this before, all the recipes i can see just have flaked oats (toasted or not)
I`m planning something like this;

3400g pale malt
1000g oat malt
300g flaked oats (toasted :thumb: )
300g crystal malt
250g flaked barley
200g choc malt
200g roasted barley

Northdown for bittering, 30ibu
Should give me 23litres @ 1052

I`ve a wlp023 burton ale yeast that i`m going to split and use some for this brew. Any thoughts on the recipe / glucan rest etc would be much appreciated :thumb:

I've never done one for my oatmeal stouts and have been very happy with them. Anyone done a side-by-side comparison?

I'm sorry but I just don't get it. Each to there own and all that. But after reading all the stuff on here lately about Oat Stouts I tried a Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout and really did not like it. I wish you luck with it though Rick. :thumb:

Mick that`s a good point............i`ve never actually tried an oatmeal stout :lol:

:) however i like the odd stout and it adds a variety to the store cupboard :thumb:

I had my first taste of an oatmeal stout on saturday at a beer festival, to be honest I couldn't really say it tasted any different to a normal stout. I enjoyed it though :thumb:

Good luck Rick you've got to try these things

rickthebrew said:
Mick that`s a good point............i`ve never actually tried an oatmeal stout :lol:

:) however i like the odd stout and it adds a variety to the store cupboard :thumb:
:rofl:

I like the odd stout as well but this was just a little too odd for my taste. Cant quite say why but it just did not do it for me.

I racked mine last night and had a sneaky mouthful or two ... absolutely gorgeous (if I do say so myself!)
:D

Have a good one ... can't answer your question though ... I didn't do a rest as my last stout had a great head (oh and no stuck mash)

Have a great brew!
:cheers:

cheers tony - i don`t think i`ll bother with the rest either - its only a few hundred grams of oats, i put 150grams of untoasted oats in my hobgob clone and had no worries with the mash :D

don`t you just love beer :lol:

I haven't made an oatmeal stout for a couple of years but the difference to normal stout was that there was a silky creamy mouthfeel that came from the roasted oats.

If you do a glucan rest then it breaks the glucan up which also aids head retention so you get more of a lovely creamy head

Rick, I remember you posting a review of "Darkness" from the Exeter Brewery. IMO, SSOS is a nicer pint - fuller in body and creamier with a smoother, velvety mouthfeel. If you like stouts in general, you'll love it. I'm willing to bet 1 bottle of Oatmeal Stout n it :lol:

"Darkness" is still a lovely pint BTW :thumb:

Aleman is the master at this so I have quoted one of his posts on the subject

Aleman said:
Firstly Oats contain a lot of Glucan . . . this is why they go really sticky when you make porridge (horrible stuff . . . Oats are for horses :D ) . . . The 35C rest is known as the Beta Glucan rest (Its also the Ferrulic Acid rest in wheat beers) . . . at this temperature beta glucanase is most active, and this chews up the glucans producing a runnier mash . . . try it, Oats in hot water at 35C . . . horrible mess to try and stir, same amount of oats in the same amount of water with 20% of the oat weight of Pale malt . . . its still a horrible mess to stir . . . try it after 15 minutes though and it will have loosened up . . . . leave it for 30 minutes, then heat to 65C and add back to the main mash). A big benefit of this is that these breakdown products contribute immensely to head formation and retention properties of the beer.

Tony said:
I racked mine last night and had a sneaky mouthful or two ... absolutely gorgeous (if I do say so myself!)

Have a good one ... can't answer your question though ... I didn't do a rest as my last stout had a great head (oh and no stuck mash)

Have a great brew!

Mmm... So did you mash overnight Tony? No worries? Got my yeast yesterday and would like to get my starter for this stout as soon as I can but the only vessel that could be used for a 5 L starter I have right now is a 10 L plastic canister which is a bit awkwardly sized... Should I use it or take some time to get a demijohn/flask? Decisions, decisions...

some great info coming in chaps - will probably give the glucan rest a bash, looking for a creamy head :D

Do you time the glucan rest so that it then gets the full 90mins in the mash tun or add at any point?

Start the main mash . . . then the glucan mash . . . add when the glucan time is up . . . main mash gets 90 minutes . . . added glucan mash gets 50-60 minutes

cheers aleman :thumb: so 300g of oats and 60g pale malt - 35degrees for 30mins (held at this temp i presume) then up to 65degrees and stirred into the mainmash. Its OK that i`m toasting the oats first?

rickthebrew said:
cheers aleman :thumb: so 300g of oats and 60g pale malt - 35degrees for 30mins (held at this temp i presume) then up to 65degrees and stirred into the mainmash. Its OK that i`m toasting the oats first?
All fine . . . just bring them out when they are golden and don't do a Cussword :whistle:

Back