Novalager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennine

Landlord.
Reaction score
I finally found 11g packs of novalager. I will give it a shot once it gets delivered.

Has anyone else used it? Good results?

Given that the retail packs appear to have only been available for a few days, I suspect you won't find much experience out there, but these threads are worth a look :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/lalbrew-novalager.703173/https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=38571.msg480076https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/warm-fermented-lager-thread.592169/page-47#post-9325200
The big thing from a genetic-geek point of view is that this represents a new "lager" hybridisation and so a whole new family of lager yeasts, equivalent to the Saaz and Frohberg families. Novalager has more ale genome so can cope with higher temperatures even than 34/70 and you can pitch less, it's generally fine with one pack per 5 gallons. The big pitch is little to no hydrogen sulphide, very little diacetyl and acetaldehyde, but a bit more ester (in the form of red apple) than 34/70, so maybe a bit more similar to the ever-divisive S-23 on that front.

People are already dismissing it as only fit for Cold IPA, but we'll see...

The big pitch is little to no hydrogen sulphide, very little diacetyl and acetaldehyde, but a bit more ester (in the form of red apple).
Low H2S and acetaldehyde and a taste lager time was the big selling point for me.

I figured there wasn't much anecdotal info out there yet. I'll report back when I get a batch brewed.

I might go with a German and west coast pils to see what I think.

Took a sample of the Novalager I brewed up on Feb 7, this was pressure fermented around 16c at 10psi. It's Feb 10 and sitting at 1.010 from 1.054, so it ferments real quick under pressure.

First thing I noticed was a stong smell of eggs, so the lack of H2S doesn't seem super accurate when fermented like this.

I do get a feint hint of apple in the aroma, none in the flavour. It's a pretty clean lager, seems a bit more similar to WY2001 the pilsner urquell strain than to 34/70.

20230210_123843.jpg

Thanks for the additional data point. Give this a few more days for that sulfur to clear, it's only 3 days old! But the haze will probably stay for several weeks. I think NB is right; this yeast is really meant for Cold IPA only, and hazy at that. I've not had a Cold IPA yet but if it were hazy, I would not be surprised in the slightest.

Ok just transferred to a serving keg and took a sample this is after 10 days in the keg. No movement in FG in the last 6 days. It's definitely changed, there is some sulphur which off gasses pretty quickly. It's still cloudy but is clearing. Initially after the pour I do get some apple in the aroma and flavour but if you let it sit for a few minutes the esters mellow down and it tastes like a relatively mellow lager maybe even slightly creamy. The sulphur does not completely go away but it's in the background. It does seem to accentuate hops more than malt. Anyway I will let it lager at 7c for 2 weeks and try again.

20230217_110457.jpg

I'm interested to see how this turns out finally for taste. I'm a bit of a convert to just how important yeast is to lager taste, and the Novalager looks like it could properly bring lager taste to faster ferments. Though, to be fair if it doesn't clear that fast then that's a limited gain.

Well I couldn't wait and snuck a sample after a week of lagering. It's clearing a bit. Reminds me of a mix between WY2001 and WY2007. No apple to speak of but there still is some sulphur. Now the trick will be to leave the keg alone for a month...

20230223_164037.jpg

This is an interesting thread, but could I ask what is being hoped for fro this yeast that isn't done by, say MJ M-54 California Lager yeast?
I was looking for a lager yeast with no sulphur primarily. My go to is 34/70.

I actually do not like M54 it tastes like bananas to me, I guess it may be good in a hefe. I get the same thing with K97 too.

I was looking for a lager yeast with no sulphur primarily. My go to is 34/70.

I actually do not like M54 it tastes like bananas to me, I guess it may be good in a hefe. I get the same thing with K97 too.
Given that MJ mostly repackage and blend other yeasts I would suspect it’s a repackaged kolsch yeat, probably Lallemand Koln.

It makes sense if you see similarities between M54 and K97.

Here is one of my last bottles of the yeast samplers I did with m54. It's definitely the most estery and really seems more like and ale than a lager to me. Still getting over ripe banana too, which I was not from the diamond lager batch.

20230224_125205.jpg

Doesn't M54 pre date the release of Lallemand Köln?
Good question. M54 is probably actually Mauri 497. Lallemand eventually tried to copy it/them many years later. So, Lallemand Koln might not be equivalent to M54. M54 is probably repacked Mauri 497.

Meanwhile, K-97 seems to be closely related to each of those, but also in a world of its own regarding extreme long-standing haze and acidity compared to any of the others.

But we digress. :)

Last edited:
I'm interested to see how this turns out finally for taste. I'm a bit of a convert to just how important yeast is to lager taste, and the Novalager looks like it could properly bring lager taste to faster ferments. Though, to be fair if it doesn't clear that fast then that's a limited gain.
@DocAnna it certainly ferments out fast. This was a Cali Commercial at 18C, added in a diacetyl rest after that just to be sure. Conditioning at the moment so can’t come on taste but it smells perfect.

Need to try out on a pucker lager next.

Attachments

• EF38A422-0C7F-4C31-BEFF-7BE12F93FBB7.jpeg
    EF38A422-0C7F-4C31-BEFF-7BE12F93FBB7.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 0
Crikey that's ridiculously quick to ferment to FG. 😳
Yes that first picture was after 3 days fully fermented.

The next batch I brew up will be at lager temps, will be interesting to see if it is much slower?

@DocAnna it certainly ferments out fast. This was a Cali Commercial at 18C, added in a diacetyl rest after that just to be sure. Conditioning at the moment so can’t come on taste but it smells perfect.

Need to try out on a pucker lager next.
That's Novalager? down to 1005? c.89% apparent attenuation?

Latest posts

Back