no chill brewing method,

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evanvine said:
As you say, interesting!
I wonder if the beer fully clears as the "cold break" hasn't been acheived?

Cold break drops to the bottom of the cube as the wort cools. It is easy to move the wort into the FV and leave the cold break behind at time of transfer. Some "cold break" in the FV does not seem to cause concern.

HD

HowlingDog said:
Cold break drops to the bottom of the cube as the wort cools. It is easy to move the wort into the FV and leave the cold break behind at time of transfer. Some "cold break" in the FV does not seem to cause concern.
I am not arguing with you HD, but will ask, what is the point of rapid cooling then, apart from speeding up pitching time? :wha:
I always understood that you rapid cooled to acheive the "cold break" :eek:

that is something i had heard too jim but recently have been led to believe speed doesnt increase break. Rapid chilling is mainly to reduce possible infections and also speed up brewing time.

The faster you chill the bigger the cold break particles, if you chill slowly the cold break still happens, but the particles of break matter are much finer. If you leave 12-24 hours, before transferring to a FV and pitching your yeast most has settled out on the 'cooling' vessel anyway. As has been said some cold break is beneficial as yeast can derive nutrients from it . . . but it is less efficient than providing adequate aeration in the first place.

Commercial breweries cool rapidly as waiting for 18BBL of wort to reach pitching temperature would take some time. There is also the issue of DMS production, but with Ale malts and a good boil most of the SMM would have been converted to DMS and drive off during the boil . . . the same should apply to lager malts, but as they have a higher level of SMM it is important to ensure that you do use a vigorous boil if you are going to 'no chill' your beer. . . It's a technique that I have been known to use on occasion :whistle: :whistle:

Back