nitrogen mix

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otuatail

Reaction score
Hi I was thinking of going up market with my presure barrel. For £40 I can get a Co2 and Nitrogen cylinders. The whole kit includes 2 full bottles. Are there any pit falls that I might find. Two that comes to mind is the percentage of the mix and getting it right. Is this controled and would I run into a problem if one emptied before the other. Can't see that they would empty together. What would be the effect of a rwrong mix.

Any help on this before I go for it?

Desmond.

Best just to use CO2. You can get 'mixed' gas bottles which have a range of N2 concentrations, meant for 'smoothflow' beers that have nitrogen bubbles. As nitrogen is inert, it doesn't dissolve to give the acidic, fizz taste 'condition' that CO2 does. Mixed gas bottles have a different (female) connection so need a different regulator.

Ok but my supplier does this as two seperate cylinders. Don't have the expertise to go it alone. I live in York UK and would need a supplier plus help.

Desmond.

Then just get 2x CO2 and not N2, with a standard CO2 regulator from Norm for £30 with 'john guest' outlet to connect to 3/8" O/D beer line, or one get a regulator from ebay (see linK). Connect to keg as Evanvine has done (see other link), or just taper the end of the pipe and shove in the the S30 valve to top up pressure as required, this is working for me at the moment, until I get the fittings to copy evanvine.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Side-Entry-CO2-Ga ... 20b7374157

viewtopic.php?p=135326#p135326

pjbiker said:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Side-Entry-CO2-Gas-Regulator-2-Gauge-Pub-Welder-Welding-/140512805207?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20b7374157/quote]

They do a bottom entry (Ooer missus) as well. Just had one of those delivered £31.00 total :thumb:

from pjbiker
Then just get 2x CO2 and not N2, with a standard CO2 regulator

Is this not defeating the object here. What I wanted was both Co2 and N2. I was wondering if the bottles would empty together and other problems. You are sugesting just to use two Co2 and not N2

Is this because N2 is no good?
Are the fittings on my barrel even a standard?

otuatail said:
from pjbiker
Then just get 2x CO2 and not N2, with a standard CO2 regulator

Is this not defeating the object here. What I wanted was both Co2 and N2. I was wondering if the bottles would empty together and other problems. You are sugesting just to use two Co2 and not N2

Is this because N2 is no good?
Are the fittings on my barrel even a standard?

CO2 is what most of us use, as it both carbonates and pressurises. I meant get 2x CO2 bottles and use 1 at a time, so you can exchange 1 while using the other.
If you really want to use Nitrogen, to give the 'smoothflow' then get it as a 'mixed' gas bottle. The fitting for mixed gas is different so you will need either a different regulator, or a converter for a standard CO2 regulator.
I don't know what the fitting is on a pure N2 bottle but it would never be used for dispensing beer anyway. N2 does not dissolve to create carbonic acid, so the beer would taste flat.
Someone posted in the last couple of weeks stating what was available from BOC in terms of CO2, N2 mixes by percentage.
There would be little point trying to attach both a CO2 and N2 to the same keg and adjusting their partial pressures. You would need 2 seperate regulators anyway.
I don't know what keg you have but most have an 'S30' valve to attach a 'hambleton bard' cylinder to. I know that a 3/8" HDPE plastic beer line can be shaved down to fit in one of these and used to top up pressure from a cylinder. The other common type of valve is a 'pin valve' or 'S20' I think. This looks the same but has a central 'pin' tube to pierce 8g CO2 bulbs. 3/8" pipe (shaved down a bit) work in these too.
Perhaps the term 'pub gas' should ring a bell with your supplier.

Hi Thanks for this. I have checked the shop and it is one bottle mixed. the barrel is a hambleton bard beer sphere with a tube inside and a float so the beer is taken from the top. Is there an ideal pressure for this please.

They say 2 or 3 PSI is sufficient as top pressure in these kegs. However, if you occassionally top up pressure using the S30 valve on the beersphere, you will need to turn the regulator up to 20-30 PSI to push the valve rubber open, unless you fit a separate inlet to the lid like evanvine has. Once you can hear some gas going in, wait a few seconds and test the pressure of the outlet at the tap.

Latest posts

Back