Newbie help please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve2021

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a question I was hoping someone could help with please. I have been helping my Dad brew today using one of the starter type kits he got as a present. The beer is currently in the fermenter, one of the 25 litre buckets. There is also one of the standard barrels that comes in starter kits similar to the link below.

In the instructions it states that after brewing for 5 days to transfer it to a fermenting bin, I assume it means the barrel / keg although to me the fermenting bin would be the 25 litre bucket its already in? It then states to ferment for another 3 days before transferring to a keg / bottles.

Is that the normal process to move the beer twice during the brewing? I have only used kits a few times before and a long time ago, but I seem to remember fermenting it in the bucket then moving it to the keg and drinking straight from there, unless I am remembering wrong. If so would I be best off buying another 25l bucket to go into next then into the keg, or is the beer designed to be bottled from the keg?

The beer kit is Directors.

Hope that makes sense.

Steve

Young's Basic White Barrel with CO2 Injection System & Tap - 5g

Hi Steve,
I've not made that kit, but remembered seeing this thread a while ago, which I think will be of help.
Link

Hi Steve,
I've not made that kit, but remembered seeing this thread a while ago, which I think will be of help.
Link

Thanks very much for the link! It's a bit annoying that this beer was in the beginners kit if does need moving twice. I want it to end up in the keg so guess I will have to buy / borrow another FV (assume that stands for fermenting vessel?) if I want to follow the instructions.

Thanks StoutWolf

Latest posts

Back